SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarcastichousewife

Tomato seedlings for small market. Need ideas.

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

My sister has been selling the excess from her garden for two years now at the local farmer's market. It's rather small, about 10-12 vendors, 3-4 of them are produce.
Due to some scheduling issues with her part time job she asked if I would like to share her table next year. I said yes!

Now...I have a part time job. This is not a career. This is just me making some extra seed money. The vendor space cost is $10. I don't have to purchase any sort of food license unless I sell jams, jellies, pickles and sauerkraut (I'd have to take a course in preservation safety). Any other foods require a professional kitchen so stuff like bread and dried herbs are out.

The season is mid-May through mid-October. 22 weeks.

I'm thinking I will start the season out with tomato plants since the selection around here in stores is pitiful if you want anything besides Big Boy, Early Girl, and Roma. The one store wanted $5 (or more) for a Brandywine that looked far more pitiful than the ones I grew. The other store had San Marzano and Mortgage Lifter for their heirloom selection and wanted almost $6 for them.

I think I can do okay by planting some popular heirlooms and offering the seedlings for sale. I did sell my remaining plants this year. By the time word got around I had lots of calls so I think there is demand there. (Of course now I'm worried that the two stores or some other vendors will be selling the heirloom plants I'm planning on!)

I'm trying to decide if I should buy the pots and trays because I can charge a bit more or just do the plastic cups I use. I could charge $3 each, 2/$5, 5/$10 for the ones in pots or $2 each, 2/$3, 5/$6 for the ones in cups. The cups were a pain to try to keep upright so I'm leaning towards the pots...but I don't want them to be so expensive that people just walk away. I also don't want to under charge and have people think there is something wrong with them!

Oh and since it's a small venture I can say "started in organic potting soil" without getting in trouble for not being certified organic right?

Thoughts?

Comments (16)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals