SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

About low-cost, foreign-made pharmaceuticals

Alisande
8 years ago

After being less than pleased with the price of doxycycline at my pharmacy, when I stopped in at another one to pick up something on Friday I asked the pharmacist how much her store would have charged. We never got to that answer because she surprised me (to put it mildly) by suggesting that I get myself some veterinary-grade doxycycline. I told her I'd seen doxy for fish on eBay (Lucille mentioned this on another thread), and she said she was certain it would the same product and quality as the product sold in pharmacies. But I wasn't so certain.

I looked into this on one of the Lyme disease message boards, and saw that some people were buying India-made doxy online. Very cheap! Well, India's gotta be better than China, I thought, and did a little research.

I found a New York Times article that's worth reading. Written last year, it said India was coming under increased scrutiny by American regulators because of safety lapses.

In one recent example, counterfeit medicines at a pediatric hospital in Kashmir are now suspected of playing a role in hundreds of infant deaths there in recent years.

One widely used antibiotic was found to contain no active ingredient after being randomly tested in a government lab. The test was kept secret for nearly a year while 100,000 useless pills continued to be dispensed.

At the end of the article it talks about China.

American businesses and F.D.A. officials are just as concerned about the quality of drugs coming out of China, but the F.D.A.'s efforts to increase inspections there have so far been frustrated by the Chinese government.

The article concludes with this statement, which I found shocking:

The United States has become so dependent on Chinese imports, however, that the F.D.A. may not be able to do much about the Chinese refusal. The crucial ingredients for nearly all antibiotics, steroids and many other lifesaving drugs are now made exclusively in China.

Crucial ingredients? Nearly all? Where does that leave us?

Here's the article

Comments (11)