SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bruna_cama

Chrysalis is ready but butterfly isn't emerging

bruna_cama
8 years ago

Hello all!

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I've been looking for butterfly experts all over the internet to ask this question.

Yesterday I went to take a look at some Large White pupae I had been monitoring (in the wild) and I came across one chrysalis that had fallen to the ground. I saw its cremaster was a bit stretched out so it seemed like it had been pulled away from the plant. The chrysalis, luckily, was still whole. Seeing as the butterfly inside was clearly near eclosion, I took it home to give it a more sheltered location to eclose, and now it's been a day and the butterfly has not emerged yet, even though I can see all its body parts trhough the chrysalis' wall, and my other Large White emerged on the same day when I could see its whole body.

I am concerned about this butterfly's life. The chrysalis, aside from the stretched out tip of the abdomen, is not deformed or broken at all, no fluid has leaked out and I see no abnormal dark splotches, nor holes: the insect inside seems complete, or at least very close to it, and the colour is what I would expect from a chrysalis ready to open. However it does not wiggle and it seems non responsive to the touch. I tried to do the test where I bend its abdomen gently and yes, it does go back in place, but this test seems to mostly refer to pupae that haven't fully developed yet so I'm not sure of its validity. Can a butterfly die in its chrysalis when it's near eclosion? Can stress induce it to delay eclosion, perhaps? How can I tell whether this chrysalis is dead or not?

To give you more context, I live in the UK so the warm season has just begun- most Large Whites would emerge in this period (this chrysalis' sister did), but the last days have been slightly colder and rainy so I don't know, perhaps they would wait for a certain temperature/sunlight to emerge. Additionally, the chrysalis hadn't been on the ground for too long, since I'd been monitoring it daily and it was fine the evening before I found it this way.

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Bruna

PS. I have attached a picture of the chrysalis. It's not the best but you can see what it looks like. (I don't own a butterfly kit or mesh cage so I had to put together a little shelter with what I had)

Comments (9)

Sponsored