SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sorie6

pernnial hibiscus

sorie6 zone 6b
8 years ago

Just wanted to share my pic of them! Also have 2 dark red ones. The flowers on them are 10" across.

Thanks for looking

Comments (11)

• Lisa_H OK
    8 years ago

beautiful!

• OklaMoni
    8 years ago

What variety is this? LOVE IT! I have something similar. Or, is it the same? I think, mine is called Turn of the Century....

• soonergrandmom
    8 years ago

I planted a tropical Hibiscus in my hollow tree bed, but I don't have a perennial one. That is very pretty.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    8 years ago

Sorie, That's so gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the photo. I have some that I raised from seed that I think are Luna Red and Luna Pink.

Dawn

• stockergal
    8 years ago

These are beautiful. I have always planted tropicals but these may change my mind. How tall do they get? I noticed yours are in a raised bed, will they grow in clay?

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    8 years ago

Yours are very pretty. I have two red ones on one side of a bed, and two white ones on the other. I don't do much of anything except weed them, and they come back each year. I have had the red ones for a long time.

Sammy

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    8 years ago

Stockergal, In amended clay, I've had them get 5-6' tall by the end of the summer, but 4-5' tall is more typical in the soil and rainfall I have here in southern OK. I have them both at the uphill part of the garden which has pretty good drainage and at the very lowest end of the garden which tends to stay waterlogged forever. The soil down at that end is more a mixture of clay, silt and sand because it gets lots of silt and sandy washing down from the neighbor's property during heavy rainfall. I sort of expected them to drown after the heavy May rainfall, and one of them did wilt and look pitiful, but then it perked right back up as the soil dried up. All of mine are in bloom now. They don't necessarily bloom non-stop all summer long (it may depend on rainfall) but they come and go through cycles of blooming all summer.

I don't really give them any care to speak of. They generally get weeded as well as any other part of the veggie garden, which means sometimes they're well-weeded and sometimes they aren't. They get by on rainfall and little to no irrigation, and I've never fed them--so the soil must have enough of the nutrients they need. Some years they reseed abundantly. If I want to grow more of them, I transplant the seedlings, and if I feel like I have enough of them already, I just weed out the seedlings and feed them to the compost pile.

I cannot grow the tropical ones here. Grasshoppers strip them down to bare stems even though they are do not devour the foliage of the perennial ones nearly as much.

Dawn

• Harriett Wahler
    8 years ago

My perennial hibiscus is one of a couple of plants that are thriving in this red clay. It stays moist all the time, and stands in water with just a half inch rain.

• chickencoupe
    8 years ago

Sorie, those are beauts! So is your planter.

I received an envelope from Louisiana, today, labeled "Blessings to you" that contained "Althea Seeds White". I dunno if they're bushes or rose of sharon. It was a surprise.

I like rose of sharon and there are pink ones on this property I can take cuttings from. I guess I'll just plant it somewhere and see what it turns out to be.

• OklaMoni
    8 years ago

rose of sharon is althea. Althea is the "old name".

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    8 years ago

Moni, lol. I remember all the old names too, and still call rose of sharon althea, even if I am the only one around here still using that name! I'm not trying to imply you and I are old....we are just well-seasoned.

Dawn