SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fordido

Help with planting raised Garden Beds? Primarily tomatoes..

fordido
8 years ago

This growing season has just gotten started, but I'm already daydreaming about next year! Last minute, I added a few more raised garden beds this year, but don't think I've maximized my growing space to its highest potential. I'd love to hear how you would plant them. I've learned so much already from stalking these boards.

General garden info:

2 8x4 beds

2 4x4 beds

Zone 6a, hot & humid (some fungal problems; septoria this year). Good soil & will also amend with plenty of compost next year. The southern beds get full sun, while the northern beds get sun starting at about 11am (is that enough sun for tomatoes?).

Plants:

Tomatoes are my main goal - especially since I'm planning to start from seed for the first time! I'm hoping to fit as many Indeterminate Tomatoes as possible, without excessive pruning. I will be using medium Texas Tomato Cages (20" diameter).

Additional plants, in order of preference.. I can lose any of these if necessary, especially the last 5.

1-2 Basil

1 Jalapeño

1 Watermelon

1 Cucumber (have angled trellis that can connect between 2 beds)

1-2 Okra

1 Bell Pepper

Carrots

Petite marigolds for pretty filler/insects

I was thinking about planting like this:

Do you think the beds would end up horribly overcrowded? Or is there a way to even add more tomatoes without losing the basil, jalapeño or watermelon? I'm also worried about a tall Okra plant stealing any sun from the tomatoes.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.. Thank you SO much for any help!

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living