SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
b1uerose

Help. My first year of raised bed tomatoes and they don't look so good

Kat JC
8 years ago

Hi. I am a gardening newbie. I planted the tomatoes into the bed around May 16th; they were in pots in my home prior to that and I made sure to put them out during the day for 4 days before planting. The soil in the garden beds was brought in from a local top soil place and it was specifically designed for vegetable growing. Then, we put another layer of like 3-4 inches of garden soil on top which contains fertilizer. So they've been in the fertilized soil for only a month. There are 4 plants total but two are more sick looking (none of them look like they are thriving to me!). Two of them already have fruit growing (one of the sick looking ones and one of the better looking ones). They're all different varietals...the one sick one with fruit (on the left in photo) is the sungold cherry tomato and the other sick one is an heirloom pineapple tomato.

The sick looking plants are yellow green and the stems aren't that thick. Also, some of the leaves have black spots on them with yellow haloing. Here is an upclose shot of each plant:

This is the pineapple heirloom

This is the sungold cherry

I'm trying to figure out what the problem is so I can take measures to fix it. I initially watered the plants whole as I had no clue but after a week I was corrected and only watered at the roots. I've stopped watering almost 2 weeks ago as the soil was pretty wet from all the initial watering and the rains we've been having. Any insights are greatly appreciated! Thank you so much in advance :)

Comments (5)