SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrblubs22

Cedar Waxwings

MrBlubs
8 years ago

Hi,

I guess I got so fed up in monitoring my tree swallows I didn't notice that a pair of waxwings had made their nest in one of my lilac trees! I watched them everyday making sure that 2 yellow tips were protruding from the nest and making sure nothing was going wrong. I only observed then from the window as not to disturb them in anyway.

They were there for 2 weeks and the female always was on her nest.

Yesterday however I heard a crash and a bunch if flapping and turned around to see a crow in the tree. I ran out and scared the bugger away and a few minutes later the female returned.

However, this morning the swallows were making a racket so I looked out and a crow was on their nest box so once again I ran out there ready to throw whatever at it but it flew away. The swallow nest was safe and untouched but I noticed that the waxwing wasnt there. I thought maybe she took a break so I just waited for her to return.

Now it's been 3 hours and she still hasn't returned to the nest. Fearing that maybe the crow made away with the eggs I quickly checked the nest but there's still defently eggs in there.

I'm still hopeful that they'll return but do you think they abandoned the nest?

Comments (3)