SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_25853434

Probably Asbestos- now what?

User
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Solarian vinyl flooring (large roll) was put in the kitchen in 1980. Workers tore up a bit (4 sq ft, maybe) of that to check the wood underneath and then put a layer of plywood over the vinyl followed by an underlayment. They screwed the plywood into the existing floor. Then I found out about asbestos. There's dust all around the house but hopefully from when they pounded and dust came from ceilings and walls.

So in the entryway to the kitchen about 2 feet across by 4-5" also came up. My original plan was to remove that and so I tried several times to peel it back to see what was underneath. The vinyl flooring is glued to tar paper which is glued to the wood. The wood contains some black stuff (mastic?)

Several questions. How much asbestos was released when they screwed plywood through the flooring? Should I continue to panic? How do I deal with the entryway if I cannot remove the floor? How do you put plywood or an underlayment over the vinyl flooring without screwing or nailing into the existing floor? I am not very handy when it comes to this stuff.

Comments (9)