SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carriebor

Kitchen Table Lighting

8 years ago

I'm planing to have a 30" round kitchen table, with pendant lighting. I kind of love this set of 5 pendants. The overall dimensions of the tile they're hanging from is 12x12, with a two inch border before the holes that the lights hang from. I've read that a pendant should be 1/2-2/3 the width of the table. Do you think this fixture will be too small for my table? Does the fact that it's comprised of five pendants make it look visually too light, given that it's on the small size anyway?Etsy Glass Pendants

Comments (23)

• 8 years ago

Oh, very pretty! I think it's hard to tell because there didn't seem to be a photo of what the fixture looked like in a room. I wonder if you could email the shop and ask if they have a photo of it that shows what it looks like above a table?

• 8 years ago

ediblekitchen - good idea!

• 8 years ago

Yes, that is responsive! If the seller does have the slightly larger canopy, that could be just right.

• 8 years ago

Just heard back from the seller that he has a 16"x16" canopy, which sounds perfect as long as that doesn't make the pendants look too sparse together. I guess I'll trust his judgement on that, as the artist, unless anyone here has any thoughts.

• 8 years ago

I like the light fixture but I'm too visual to advise you if it will work or not in your space. Are you done with your kitchen? Personally, I think I'd need to wait until it's done and then photo shop lighting onto a photo in order to decide. Sorry I'm not much help.

I just wanted to thank you for posting these amazing lights. The single pendants may be perfect for my bathroom so I've marked this artist as a Favorite on my Etsy. I wouldn't have found him without your post.

So cool that he is so responsive, too.

• 8 years ago

Funkycamper - good idea about photoshop/ finishing the kitchen first! But I've done neither & just ordered the light fixture, so maybe you'll join me in keeping fingers crossed! I think it will be easier & cheaper if I've got the pendant in advance, so the electrician doing the rest of the kitchen lighting can do it at the same time, though, of course, if it ends up not being right, the cheaper/easier thing definitely will not apply.

I am very impressed with how responsive he is - and he's all the way across the worlds & shipping was reasonable. Glad you like his work

• 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

oops, too late. I was going to suggest a mock-up with paper cups or something along those lines. They are very, very pretty.

• 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

OK, so, yet another dilemma on this very same light. I'd read that lighting should be 1/2-2/3 the diameter of the table, so, for a 30" table, that's 15"-20".

I have the option of him using a 12" or a 16" square canopy (that's the word he used, for the square "base" for the top of the fixture.) I thought the 16" was perfect, given the dimensions of the table. But, as he illustrates in the below images, the distance from one corner to the next is actually about 16" for the smaller and maybe 22" for the larger....

Nosoccermom- your next message just came through my email. Good idea. Maybe I jumped the gun on ordering...

• 8 years ago

Oh, I meant to include this:

And this:

• 8 years ago

If you know you are going to have lighting anywhere that would be hooked up via a junction box (which is virtually all lighting except recessed cans), you would have just needed the electrician to install the junction box and pull out the wiring through the ceiling. Then put caps on the wires so nobody gets electrocuted. Then it would just take someone connecting the wires and affixing the fixture to the ceiling. Even a non-electrician can do that part as long as they have a basic understanding of wiring.

Oh, well, too late, right? But good to know for the future.

My gut says that you should have the smaller diameter since your space is so small but that's just a wild guess.

• 8 years ago

Oy. I'm struggling with this decision. I'm going to go forward with the order, it's just deciding if I want the 12 or 16" that I can't decide...

• 8 years ago

Just posted on the Home Decorating forum. I wish I was better at visualizing house stuff!

• 8 years ago

Update!

Funkycamper, nosoccermom, et al. I was trying to figure out
    how to attach a fake pendant set to the ceiling to get a sense of size when I glanced over at
    my mobile. I laughed inside when I realized it's pretty visually similar to the
    pendants.

The mobile is about 18" diameter, so I thought it would be a
    good test to hang up & assess if I want something slightly bigger or
    smaller. For comparison: the mobile has eight "hanging objects" where
    the pendants has five. Also, the mobiles rectangles are 6" x 5" flat,
    while the pendants are W 4.5" x D 2 1/8" x H 5". Here are photos of the mockup.

The vast majority of the time, there will be two chairs, and one person at the table.

Looking back at existing kitchen: (note that the peninsula & existing kitchen table will be gone, and galley kitchen on the left and right will have off white cabinets.)

Standing on the steps:

Looking toward front door:

Right now, I have two decisions to make about this: 12" square (approximately 16" radius) or 16" (app. 22" radius) pendant base. And go with predominantly yellow or predominantly red glass. (I keep going back & forth on color. Right now, I'm leaning toward red as a contrast with my yellow walls.)

Redder vs. Yellower

• 8 years ago

Even with your cute mobile playing the part of the light fixture, I am horrible at visualizing. I would need your kitchen to be done in order to be any help at all. Even then, I do tend to avoid commenting in any decoration discussions here because I don't think my tastes are normal and I don't trust advising others on colors, backsplash, counters, yada yada. I feel the same here. I do think it's an amazing light fixture, love the fact that you can adjust the pendants to whatever height you like, and that it is something so unique and will add some real character to your space. My gut says to go with the smaller size since the corner to opposite corner measurement is so much longer. Sorry, I'm not much help. Hopefullyl the Decorating Forum mavens will be able to give you better advise.

• 8 years ago

Thanks, funkycamper. I got two advisors on Home Decorating, and they both said to go with 16". I did contact the seller to ask if he had access to round canopies, since the round would go better with the round table. The canopy is a simple white, so not the end of the world if not. He said he'd reach out to the factory to find out if they have the mechanical capacity to do round. If they do, a 16" (or thereabouts) round would probably be perfect.

• 8 years ago

Love it Carrie! I would lean towards the more red one as well. The mobile (brilliant idea btw) looks a little big to me. I would not go any bigger than that. I'm thinking the 16" total diameter would be perfect, but I'm confused by you saying that means 22" radius? Sorry, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed lately. :-)

• 8 years ago

Thanks, rebunky. The dimension thing is tough for me to figure out, given that the canopies are square. I'm hoping that the larger one, because it's only five pendants (compared to the mobile's 8) and the fact that they're slightly smaller, will look OK. So, the pendant light collection would be wider than the mobile, but probably less visually dense.

As far as the 16" thing... look above at my post from yesterday at 2:49. The canopies are square, so, a 12" square, on the diagonal from corner to corner, is 16", and a 16" square has 22" from corner to corner. Now, that said, the pendants would probably be set an inch or two in the from edges, but, still, the pendants do have dimension. Does that make sense? I'm not sure if I'm being clear.

• 8 years ago

Yes, now I gotcha! Then the 16" / 22" should be fine. Can't wait to see everything come together. Any time frame yet for kitchen construction to start?

• 8 years ago

Target start date is August 17th. I'm not holding my breath, since I've heard from just about everyone, everywhere that contractors never start when they say they're going to, and it always takes about twice as long... I can't wait for my new kitchen!

• 8 years ago

I'm not sure if you've ordered or not, but I wanted to mention one thing for your consideration. If it's going to be a while before the fixture is installed, you may not realize if the color the shades cast is unpleasant to you.

We had similar colored glass pendant shades above our breakfast table in our last house. It was such a great fixture in theory (and it was expensive for us--maybe $300), but the orangey color it cast was dreadful. It was just so unappetizing and made anyone in the breakfast nook look ill. It also made finding a paint color difficult because it altered it so dramatically.

We lived with the colored shades for about 5 years because it was just so much money and I felt guilty, but then I found a great mid-century style fixture on Craigslist for $20. It had a white globe and it made all the difference. I tried selling the older fixture on Craigslist, but no takers so it ended up being donated to the Habitat ReStore. I'll never buy colored fixture shades again.

• 8 years ago

Thanks, Benjesbride. I hadn't thought of that. I have ordered the fixture, and, yup, around $300. Now, I'm really keeping my fingers crossed!

• 8 years ago

Just wanted to jump back in here to say that the artist said he could get me a 16" ROUND canopy at no extra charge. So happy!