SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinyt74

Not sure who will leave first me or my step son.

tinyt74
8 years ago

Every summer for the past 9 years, my step son comes and spends the summer with us. Most people spend the summer relaxing, going on vacation, enjoying the weather and Happy. I spend the month if not 2 before summer begins in sheer panic: I stop eating, I cry and feel like my body is inside out. Then the day comes when my husband picks him up....a 18 hour drive round trip. I basically do not breathe for the full 24 hours before he arrives back home.

Let me go back a bit. I met my husband when his son was 2. Because he needed someone to watch him while he went to work one night. We had a mutual friend who asked if I could help out. I was a teacher and many years of experience with kids...still work with kids in a variety of settings today. I and his son were great friends....he actually would ask to stay at my home when he visited his dad. All was good. One could even say his son was the reason we started dating and eventually ended up getting married.

The trouble did not seem to come up until his son started school, and do to the distance between our home and his moms....he could only visit during the Summer.

The fist summer I noticed a change right away...he was talking back, argued about everything and needed more consequences and direction. He even seemed like he fell back in many areas. My husband I also had a son as well by this time. My step son was now not the only child in the house and was not being catered as much he had been in the past....because of the baby and also because he was older. My husband of course did not see how his behavior had changed and of course did NOTHING to correct it. I of course was imagining the whole thing and picking on this poor child...when I did bring up his rude and disrespectful behavior. Then the fun really started NOT...The second summer he came again not listening, arguing, screaming and defiant. Along with now he was pinning his father against me. Stating that I did not feed him, wouldn't let him brush his teeth or get dressed. HE left out the parts of throwing food, refusing to get out of bed, screaming at me to SHUT UP, I HATE YOU, spitting at me. I would get a point after 45 min if not longer of this behavior when I would just say "fine don't eat, don't get dressed...what ever"

When I tried to explain why his son did not eat or was still not dressed at 4 pm...I was told you are the adult, you know how kids are. Make him do these things....or told that I was MEAN and CRUEL to treat a child like that...I should know better. Basically the child was not talked to or in trouble with his father..rather I was the one who got yelled and even got the silent treatment from his father...for even thinking his child was like this.

The thing was I was beating myself up....I did not need my husbands help in that area. I was trying every trick all the books, tricks that I had in my bag and nothing WORKED. I even recorded his fits one week, thought my husband I could have a movie night...his son while I was on the phone with the doctor for my son was sick...had erased what I had taped. I was rereading books ordering/looking up things on line. I tried everything. My husband tried nothing and in fact many times rewarded this child with dinner out, movies and going to fun places.

I think it really hit home for me how bad things were when my 3 yr old child asked me. "Why is it when S (my step son) is here, daddy doesn't like me any more". He also asked "Why doesn't S ever get in trouble" Not that the 3 yr old got into a lot of trouble....but he even noticed that my step son was not acting appropriate and not have any consequence. Many times when I did try to set limits or give my step s consequences my husband would reverse the situation when he got home...giving him back his video games, taking him out of time outs, letting him out of his room...though I had just told him he needed to stay in there for 10 min. At one time I had my step son write a note to his dad about his day...trying to get him to share the days events so they were not coming just from me....YUP my husband stopped that. As soon as he started noticing a pattern." No one can be so blind as the one who refuses to open their eyes"

I am now in my 9th year of this CRAP, the only things that have changed is we (husband and I) have 3 boys. Step son is now 4xs bigger then I. And that my husband says we work through this together he is on my side......till a situation comes up. Then again I must of done something or I am to hard on step son....again it is my fault and s son is the poor child. He got here on Thursday and I have cried for the past two days......

Where do I go.....

Do I leave my husband......

Do I let this BRAT run my life, house, family.........

Do I continue to fight a battle I can not win......

I ask for help as I stand alone...........

Comments (6)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!