SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
foreignlady222

Pathetic Cucumber Plants

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi and thanks for your help,

I am a terrible gardener. I have never had success with cucumbers before but decided to give it another shot in a very sunny spot along my fence. From a nursery, I bought four large plants that were already bearing almost mature cucumbers. They were beautiful. The plants held on long enough for those cucumbers to be enjoyed, but all the other flowers, emerging cucumbers, those little things they use to hold on to trellis, and much of the leaves did not survive.

I know at least part of the problem was the soil in the area where I planted it. It was not garden soil by any measure. I just dug an area between some perennials, stirred a fair amount of compost into the earth I found there, which was rather sandy looking, and said a prayer. Another problem is that I wasn't very good about regular watering, probably not watering enough and when I did, usually just bringing a bucket of water and dumping it on the roots. I finally realized that I needed to water more and more slowly because the water was just running off and probably not much was going into the actual root ball. That realization came too late and not before the plants became very sad looking.

After improving my watering habits, I've managed to get a bit of new growth, and there are three cucumbers on the way.

What would you suggest that I do to try and save these plants now? Should I trim something, cut the stems or whatever else? I'm also thinking of adding more soil and maybe digging around the base a bit, but I'm afraid to damage roots... Would mulching help to retain moisture?

Thanks!

Comments (33)