SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caterwallin

Do you ever just let yourself off the hook?

caterwallin
8 years ago

Ever since getting into this butterfly (many types) raising from 2005 onward (wow, I've been doing this 10 years already), I've had many emotions, going from being elated to seeing the first Monarch to feeling downright exhausted by the end of the summer having raising a thousand or more of many types of butterflies. I truly do want to help the butterflies as much as I can, especially the Monarchs, but sometimes I feel like I can't go on. It really tires me out. Not only do I feel like a Mack truck ran over me lots of times, but I attend to butterflies to the exclusion of other things, leaving me feeling resentful because I'm not getting anything else done.

I've decided to end this self-destructive cycle and loosen the reins for awhile. I want to enjoy nature, not feel like I'm a slave to it. Maybe once I get all of my many plants in the ground and in pots, weeding done, etc., I might actually feel relaxed enough to raise some butterflies again. I didn't want to end up like I do every year, walking around the yard/garden here near the end of the summer still having to put things in the ground and wondering what happened to the summer. I was determined that this year everything would be in the ground by the end of June and by gosh, I think I'm going to make it! I think the rain will at least go away this month yet long enough for me to finish my liatris ligulistylis bed (I want to see for myself if those flowers will draw the Monarchs just like some people say or if it will be another bust for me in that way like with other plants I've tried (lantana, Joe pyeweed and some others). Some people swear by some plants, but I don't think that anything is foolproof and that it just might not attract butterflies in one yard as well as in another. I really hope that the liatris will though. I also have to finish planting the other half of my tithonia plants (I'll have 8 total). About a month ago I planted some scarlet runner beans for the Gray Hairstreaks and the hummingbirds, but they never came up. With all this rain I'd guess that they rotted in the ground, so that's that. I'm not ordering any more seeds. The way this is going, it looks like we'll continue having a very WET summer with hardly ever a day without rain. I go out between raindrops just so I can manage to get things done intermittently.

I did take some time out to raise about 30 Giants and about a dozen Blacks and they've all pupated. Those quantities aren't overwhelming and I can handle those. It's when the PVS come along and I have half a dozen females at a time usually laying egg after egg on the A. macrophylla that it gets so inundated with eggs here that you could make it a full time job just raising the PVS and get little else done. I raised about 500 of them from last year into this year, so I feel like I did more than my share of helping out the Pipevine Swallowtails. . Since I didn't collect them at all this year, I think that probably the song sparrows and other birds that hang around the pipevine probably consumed them as food. I don't like that there will be no butterflies being produced, but everyone has to eat and by letting them go, I probably made it easier for lots of birds to raise their families. . I actually was into birds long before I was into butterflies and have a fondness for them both.

I just wanted to say that if you ever feel at your wit's end trying to keep up with everything, give yourself a break and give the butterfly raising a rest for awhile until you have time to regroup, get other things done, energize...I think that you'll notice a nice difference in your attitude; I know that I did. You know darn well we're already doing more to help nature than the Joe & Joan Q. Public population. At least we are aware of things and don't have our heads in the clouds and we do try to do what we can. So I refuse to feel guilty taking a break once in awhile to recharge my batteries. I do what I can and at least I try and not just totally ignore nature's problems. I wish I had a magic wand...I'd change many things..

If the Monarchs ever do stop and lay eggs here, I have lots of milkweed for them. My daughter and I will try to help them out as much as possible. I'm in central PA and one was already here a few weeks ago but no eggs. That's okay. I'm not giving up hope. We have lots of time yet.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Designing Beautiful, Sustainable Homes in Columbus