SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
justinn_dell_wright

18.5hp B&S ELS500 crank case flooding with fuel

I know this question gets asked a lot, but I just picked up this husqvarna mower used from an individual a few weeks ago. When I checked it out before buying, everything was good to go. No smoke no issues. Brough it home and the next day went to mow the yard and that's when all the problems started. Blue smoke started pouring out of the exhaust. All the tires went flat. Battery was dead, and it would stay running and one of the blades wasn't cutting. So I put tubes in the tires, threw new blades on it, new spark plug, fresh oil/filter, rebuilt the carb with new float needle/seat as well ask gaskets and fired up and was good to go. Mowed the yard and put her up. The next weekend I go to mow the yard, filled the fuel tank and got one lap done before it started spewing blue smoke again. So I looked around to see if there was anything leaking and everything looked ok. I put her in the garage and waiting till the next day to check and see if my fuel tank lost fuel. Sure enough the tank was almost empty. So I pulled the carb again just to check everything, pulled the engine cover off and pulled the breather tube and noticed the breather "tank" was filled with fuel. I drained the oil/gas mixture, put fresh oil in, and installed a fuel shutoff valve. Filled the fuel tank up again and and fired it up. Ran ok but began to bog down and wouldn't start. The battery was too weak. Put it back in the garage. Came out this morning and the tank was almost empty again. Noticed that fuel was dripping from around where the crankcase and head meet. Is this a head gasket issue, or could it be something worse?

Comment (1)