SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sugi_c

Aeonium mix pot

Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi guys,

Can I just tell you how much I love Aeonium?

One little florette from three years ago has produced more huge plants at two homes. Cut, stick in soil and grow. I propagate a lot of cuttings and/or leaves but this is the king of them all.

About 3 months ago, I took a branch off my main Aeonium and stuck a few other things in the same pot. Just last week, took three additional cuttings from the pot because the ones inside weren't getting enough sun.

I've taken those cuttings and just plunged them into the little bit of rootless soil around some big trees out back and they're doing nicely too, though I do not think they will have enough room to really grow.

Anyway, just wanted to share as nobody else I know in person seems remotely interested. "it's a nice plant," they will say. :-)

I had just watered this and the side patio.

Anyone know the nam of that green one?

Comments (50)

• davez7anv
    8 years ago

could be arboreum-maybe green beauty?

very cool pot-like the clustered heads.

my favorite green leaf is undulatum.

• cooliceball
    8 years ago

Dose the arboreum need lot of light

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The Aeonium is garnet. But that plant to the right of it....I don't know what that's called. :)

Coolice, it turns more green in shade or weaker light but if it has 2-3 hours of light, it grows nicely. You will just lose the dark maroon color. I don't believe they do that well indoors but I've never tried it.

• cooliceball
    8 years ago

Ok thanks

• Litmuspaper (Andrew)
    8 years ago

Whoa! Is that picture enhanced? The colors look so lush!

• Neil
    8 years ago

Sugi here is a pic of mine.

It's called Crassula coccinea 'campfire.'

Grown in full sun the entire plant turns a striking, bright red. I have some in part shade also..I also like it very much when it's green with hints of the red color. The leaf formation is what fascinates me.

I pruned back my arboreal aeoniums too and a week later it was if I didn't prune them at all. Large rosettes had filled in so incredibly fast. I thought this was the dormancy period for them, so what's up with that? lol.

Your plants and the container you have them in are beautiful. I'm grateful to have this forum to share my passion with succulents also. Most people in my "circle" don't share it, they think i'm demented, lol.

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Andrew, it was wet from hosing and that perfect balance of cloudy to sun. So while I did adjust the contrast, the light was really just right.

Neil, that does look like my plant but yours is so compact. Is mine just not getting enough sun? I have this growing in another pot out back, too, and these few were moved to this pot because the other one got so big. Mine sure looks pale next to your red-edged leaves, if it's the same plant.

This is why I really should stop grouping plants. Other people seem to have an eye for it, but ther than this one, I really don't have a single mixed planter I love that much. And when I do like one, it seems I mixed different sun requirements in one pot LOL.

• Tony Luong
    8 years ago

I Love Aeonium! I'm looking to collecting more :D So far I have Aeonium Sunburst, (2) Aeonium Sunburst Cristata, Aeonium lilypad and Aeonium pinwheel.

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

They really are the best, Tony! They are like succulents but...plantish. Haha, does that make any sense?

• Tony Luong
    8 years ago

They are totally succulent! Succulent is just and adjective describing the plant. Botany Having thick, fleshy, water-storing leaves or stems.

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I know that, Tony, LOL!

Let me punctuate properly:

They are, like, succulents but plantish (as in like, bushy, too).

Better? LOL!! See, commas are important!

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Crenda, thanks! I totally see how he misunderstood me, haha.

That is so cool and weird. Your first one looks like the form of mine and yes, your second one is Neil's! That particular plot of mine is pro-mix with a lot of perlite but I have some other cuttings in back in GM and they don't look like yours. That's fascinating!

Now you have me curious....

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    8 years ago

And people wonder why we find plants so entertaining!

• Neil
    8 years ago

Crenda- I don't know about you but, i Iike the look of the mother plant and your cuttings. There are some succulents where I don't mind or even welcome the "stretching," this is one of them.

And I want to clarify and post this so everyone can read and hopefully comment in case i'm wrong (which is often). For the campfire varieties I believe there are 3:

1) Capitella

2) Coccinea

3) Erosula

If there are more or i'm mistaken please someone let me know.

Sugi- Have yours colored up a bit?

• joe92019
    8 years ago

Gorgeous plants & pot :)

• LilBit7765
    8 years ago

Well, i LOVE them!!! They are GORGEOUS!!! I have a Crassula campfire also, it had red on it when i first got it, but then that darn tree infront of my south windows has played havic on my plants. Hopefully mine will color up now that they're FINALLY outside. Mine looks like in inbetween of crendas first and second pic. I did not know there was other campfires. Hmmmm i'll post a pic tomorrow in daylight (if you dont mind sugi) to see what you guys think.

• bunnygurl
    8 years ago

Totally jealous of your Aeoniums. This is one of those plants I just can't keep alive. Yours are so gorgeous. Makes me want to try again but I just hate killing things.

• Laurent - French Riviera (zone 9a)
    8 years ago

The valid name is Crassula capitella 'Campfire'. There are several forms of Crassula capitella but just one Crassula capitella 'Campfire'. The other names (erosula, coccinea, flammea, etc...) are not valid names ;)

Update : I was wrong, correction here : http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/3234619/laurent-need-clarification?n=6

• Tony Luong
    8 years ago

mix pot w/ Aeonium Sunburst, (2) Aeonium Sunburst Cristata and the lilypad. They are still babies.

Pinwheel Haworthii Aeonium ? Excuse the dino as its hungry.

• Neil
    8 years ago

Laurent- Question 4U on another thread. Don't want to hijack Sugi's.

• Laurent - French Riviera (zone 9a)
    8 years ago

Neil, where ?

• Neil
    8 years ago

I just posted it

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Please, guys, feel free to post here. I love seeing Aeoniums, and learning more about them! All I wanted to do was show someone who might appreciate a plant because I have very few gardener friends, lol. They're all just uh-huh, very nice. LOL

Neil, it is as green, if not greener. Haha. I am guessing it's not enough sun. It gets really hard sun for about 2 hours from 12-2pm or so, getting shorter each day, too. Needs a pruning too....

I have some others in the backyard. These also get about 2 hours of early morning sun then really dappled all day.

These are just some cuttings I took from another because it was so overgrown.

Can I also mention how much I dislike spiders?

• Tony Luong
    8 years ago

Aeonium Haworthii 'kiwi pinwheel'

got this one during my lunch @ summerwind nursery.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    8 years ago

Just stopped raining, so here is most current shot:

Looong way to go before they look half as good as yours, Grace:)

1. A. balsamiferum (?)

2. A. Kiwi

3. my new baby from a very generous gifter here - still little beat up after spending long week in the box, but it looks much better after few days - correct ID would be appreciated...(it is large, rosette is bigger than whole A. Kiwi plant I have).

Rina

• kathi_mdgd
    8 years ago

This is my favorite,Aeonium Kiwi,love the flowers on this. Kathi

• kathi_mdgd
    8 years ago

Got these cuttings from a friend about 2 mos ago and they have alreay filled the pot,or i should say one of them has.It's the one that is closer to the front of the shelf,the other has grown as well,but i need to move it forward so it can catch up.

Kathi

• Neil
    8 years ago

When my very first aeoniums bloomed I was so amazed. They lasted a long time. I had 4 canariensis. 2 each flanking my balcony entranceway. And, you guys know what happened after they bloomed right? It was my first introduction to the word "Monocarpic." I lost all 4 of them after the blooming. None of them had pups or offshoots. The rosettes were about 20 inches in diameter. After that first experience I learned to always take cuttings while a plant is healthy and growing.

• Neil
    8 years ago

Grace- the first pic looks like sedum nussbaumeranium. can you confirm?

• sowngrow (8a)
    8 years ago

I love aeoniums, but haven't had the best of luck with them. These are all beautiful! This first one seems to be holding on for me. The second one wasn't taking hold in the combination pot I had it in, so I just put it in its own pot.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    8 years ago

The second plant doesn't look like aeonium (but you probably know that?)

• sowngrow (8a)
    8 years ago

No, I wasn't sure about the second one. I thought it might be. I had ordered several succulents in a batch, off eBay and none were labeled. I'm working on i.d.ing them and guessing along the way.

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Neil,

Arrrgh, never ask me to confirm names, please. There is limited RAM in my brain and plant makes apparently don't make the cut as "vital information" like addresses or the history of a German Shepherd, etc. LOL!

i believe you are correct and this is definitely in the stonecrop family. I have a Sedum adolphii that's quite gorgeous and this one is very similar to that, though much narrower leaved. This was a large bowl pot I have a bunch of stuff in and I sorta kinda left them out in the sun like they were in at my other house....but apparently, that was too much because lots of things burned and burned especially the Aeoniums. So I put it all my succulents into partial shade and they only get full morning sun. Since they, this one is not as red anymore but it was the only one that was digging the strong sun.

@Rina,

i would not be surprised if that last beauty is the same as my original plant. The main plant I made the cuttings I originally posted here are all much lighter in color than the one in the side patio. Strangely, the ones in the back actually get more hours of sun but the one I posted gets very....concentrated sun on a patio where it's all reflected. Also, the side patio one only gets watered if and when I remember as the backyard ones, I see all of the time, haha. But I also recently saw that Aeonium velour look near identical, too. Look that or 'garnet' up. They all look a lot better in the fall, as you know. The huge pot I have in the backyard are all closing up and wigging out. Screaming like a banshee, LOL.

• kathi_mdgd
    8 years ago

Crenda i love those orangy ones you have,so pretty.

Kathi

• LilBit7765
    8 years ago

I saw (what said on the tag) aeonium Kiwi at a nursey I go to occasionally. They were GORGEOUS. They were dark purple, pink,peach and white. They looked varigated to me. But they were CRAWLING WITH MEALY:(

I didnt want to take the chance ( im kinda kickun' myself in the rump now though) i havent seen anything like it again (with those colors) has anyone heard of this kind? Or is there varigated kiwis? Your the queen of aeoniums Sugi, so i figured you would know. Sorry if im hijacking your thread. I think i took a pic of it, ill try to find it.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    8 years ago

Kathi's photos (posted last Fr @ 2:15pm) of her kiwi show lots of color - was it more colorful than that?

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    8 years ago

I just got three very small Aeonium "Kiwi"s over the hill at a wonderful nursery in Santa Cruz. I don't get there very often which is just as well- If I lived any closer, I would have to take out a loan.

Love the photo of the blooms, Kathi- had no idea they could get even MORE beautiful! Min

• kathi_mdgd
    8 years ago

I know Min,aren't those blooms gorgeous?? I've been known to cut them and put them in a vase on the kitchen table.

Kathi

• Neil
    8 years ago

Grace- What other Aeoniums do you have? I never hear you talk about kiwis. Don't you like them? I know they're becoming more readily available but, I still love them. They are still among my ultimate favorites.

• LilBit7765
    8 years ago

Rina, Kathis is beautiful, but these were DARK purple, peach, pink, and white. Im REALLY kicking myself in the butt for not getting one but they were covered in mealies. There were about 7 of them, i went back the very next day to get one thinking i would leave it outside in the back deck to see if i could treat it without my others getting it, but they were all gone! :(

I ecen checkrd to see if they were painted, they werent. I couldve SWORN i had a pic but apparently not. I probably, accidently deleated it. Im going to look online now to see if i can find one that looks remotely similiar. Be back in a jiff!

• LilBit7765
    8 years ago

ok heres the closest i could find. Its a aenonium kiwi, but along with these colors and pattern there were dark purple and peach areas (splotches on it) im assuming it is a kiwi, but how are they getting the coloring i saw in like calico pattern (best way i can describe it)

I REALLY wish i wouldve grabbed them ALL! LOL

• joe92019
    8 years ago

WOW! So pretty :)

• cooliceball
    8 years ago

Awsome

• kathi_mdgd
    8 years ago

Wish i could find some like those.

Kathi

• LilBit7765
    8 years ago

I cant tell you how hard im Kicking myself in the butt for NOT grabbing atleast one bcuz of the mealies. I went back the next day and all of them were gone. It really didnt suprise me though. Because honestly i know the pic i posted is pretty, but they were really even more beautiful! Hopefully theyll get more in, and this time ill grab em all up lol! Then i can show you EXACTLY what im talking about.

• Rockdale (RI Z6)
    8 years ago

Here are my aronium kiwi and other two dark color ones( just could not remember their names at this moment), the aloe kiwi is a big surprise to me with its vivid color when moved into full sun. It is actually glowing :). I also had an agronomist mandi gras but it died on me shortly. I bought it in winter and I think it is a tough time for it.

Thanks for viewing

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hey Neil, it's so rare I talk about any plant that isn't giving me problems though! :-D

I have a few Aeonium here, though not a LOT -- kiwi, too. Lots of those (also in the background in one of the photos above but it's split up everywhere), as well as Irish Bouquet and a couple of others. None are as big as the parent of the 'Garnet' in the original photo...which, by the way, is screaming bloody murder every day in my yard, claiming its dying of heat. LOL In hindsight, I sure picked a blazingly hot spot for it and keep reminding myself to tell my dearest guy to move it for me but there's a lemon tree that needs to be dug up in the spot I want this in. Whoever planted a lemon tree in partial shade is crazy.

You see the problem? LOL

There's a few mixed in here which I took today. I didn't get down to the area of the yard where I have a pot of Aeonium 'Kiwi' (and lest it sounds like a huge garden, it's not--I just didn't photograph everything haha) but admittedly, while I bought the first plant because it was so cute, I've had it for so long and as you can see, I've put bits and pieces everywhere. I find I'm kind of over them.

Do you see them? :) this pot is a mess. I just keep pruning things off but am leaving it alone hoping some kind of vision comes to me. So far, 6 months into it, I see nothing.

Grace

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lilbit, there are some paints that are truly indistinguishable. Like, they won't even scratch off unless you break the leaf apart in trying. I forgot the name but someone I met once told me. But the point was that with this paint, the only way to tell it was painted was the new growth, i.e., purple plant growing green rosettes. Actually that topic came up because I was insisting that I saw a pure purple something...can't recall what it was but I'd bet the damn house on it! LOL

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

If I could recall the dude's name, I'd search for the email. He sent me a photo...ya know, just to prove he's right. LOL