SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurasu

aluminum storm frame removal

homeowner inNC
8 years ago

Purchased 1953 brick ranch 'fixer upper' with aluminum trim and original windows with aluminum storms. Had original windows replaced with vinyl replacement windows. Contractor removed storms windows but left frames in place on all but the street facing windows. I know that he did this because the storm frames were difficult to remove...as evidenced by the fact that he dented and scratched up the aluminum trim around those that he did remove. We did not insist that he finish the job since we didn't want any further damage and we decided that we'd remove the rest in our own time. Well, the time has come and we now see just how difficult this job is! I've scraped the caulk away and removed the screws holding the frame in place but it still won't budge. I'm thinking that the storm frame must have some sort of 'lip' that is secured under the aluminum trim? Does anyone have experience with this type of removal and, if so, can you offer any advice for removing these frames without damaging/removing the aluminum trim around the windows? We eventually would like to have the house re-trimmed but don't have the funds for that project at this time. Any advice is appreciated!

Comments (6)