SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikerno_1micha

What is your most FAVORITE fragrant smelling Hoya you love?

myermike_1micha
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago
Well, I thought I knew the name of mine, but I will have to go home and check the label..But boy, this one has a light lemony mixed with citrus and vanilla fragrance..Very aromatic! Not like the typical heavier substance ones that smell of vanilla and or chocolate...Also, I must mention that the flowers open up like a very round sphere..Like a golf ball. Quite interesting..

Comments (78)

• moonwolf_gw
    8 years ago

GG, I know the feeling. My two plants are too small to bloom, too. I enjoy not only the fragrance, but those beautifully hued flowers and those crimson stars at the centers. Stars within stars (since the petals are five pointed as well) and stars are perhaps my favorite shape ;).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• greedyghost
    8 years ago

Yeah, stars within stars is a good description :)

• Related Discussions

What was your most wonderful fragrant this summer?

Q

Comments (9)
    Our weather is also not supportive. I live In north carolina. I have to keep all my plants inside the house in the winter. I have put all my jasmines adn other tropicals in the ground this summer. Now i am putting them back into the pots. Jasminum Azoricum is very good. I have got very small plants from logees last year. But this year they are now in 5g pots. I am not big fan of Nitidum. This is also a fragrant plant. I wanted to have jasminum azoricum. I didn't know the english name of it. I was googling on the internet I have found Jasminum Tortuosum. I thought its JAsminum Azoricum and i got it. Its very similar to it. I suggest to have azoricum. You won't be disappointed. If you are very picky and wanted to have different variety you can add this to your collection. Jasminum Mali chat, i have got last week only from alohatropicals. it is having few buds. Once they open up i will photos and post them on the forums.
    ...See More

Unofficial Poll: What is your FAVORITE fragrant plant?

Q

Comments (20)
    Well, since gardenias are not allowed, and they're practically impossible indoors anyway. I would say Jasmine Sambac 'Maid of Orleans' if I still lived where I had lots of big sunny windows, but don't have good indoor lighting anymore. All my windows face awful directions. So I'm going to suggest a very unusual one that fulfills all the requirements: Persian Violet (Exacum Affine). The fragrance is very nice but subtle, elusive, strongest in the morning hours when it is sometimes even detectable from a distance. The plant is pretty, easy to care for, seems to love it indoors, and blooms effortlessly.
    ...See More

What is your favorite fragrant plant?

Q

Comments (57)
    I love, LOVE! Copper Canyon Daisies! I can be weeding in a bed close to them and get the scent wafting over me and I am like one of those cats with catnip! I want to just WALLOW in it! LOL Also love lantana, altho it doesn't affect me the same way. The Banana shrub is growing and doing very well in a yard in Victoria, Texas. I have permission to go there to take some cuttings in that garden this week, and that is one plant that is on my list to snip. It is growing in regular old alkaline clay soil, watered daily with regular old city water, with a ph up to THERE! Amazing! This is a good thread. Thanks for bumping it up. Janie
    ...See More

What is your favorite color rose? Do you grow only fragrant ones?

Q

Comments (18)
    I'm with Seil and Ben - nothing makes my heart go pitter patter or my wallet go "poof" faster than a picotee, mutable or striped rose, the more high contrast the better. After that I'm drawn to the "oddball" colors of russet, parchment or lavender (or best all three together, like Distant Drums or Koko Loko). Dark dark burgundy flowers also zing something in my soul. As for wafting, even without my poor nose nothing really wafts very far in my dry climate. We don't get wafting of hyacinths and lilacs in the spring even though I have 100's of the former and 3 well established bushes of the latter. Peonies you have to get up close to smell, and the same for lilies. I'll get a vague "pleasant smell" from an area with over 10 Stargazer lilies blooming, but even my son with the hypersensitive nose doesn't gag at the smell. It just dissipates too fast. I never knew Darlow's Enigma or Marie Pavie were supposed to have any scent at all, and even my daughter with a good nose shrugs when presented with a bouquet of those. I like fragrance when I can get it, but I look far more often than I smell, as far as roses go. Cynthia
    ...See More
  • myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Ok, before I read anymore, what the heck is a DS-70 and where can I get one? lol I have had enough of hearing how nice it smells..I want one like yesterday....And the Pubic one? How can I get one of those??? Which one smells like what Greedyghost say's....So strong that just one flower can over power a room> I need to stick one of those in the room where my cat relieves himself incase I forget to clean the kitty litter in aweeks time...I could use a heavy duty flower deodorizer to hold me over..

Greedyghost..I meant that. What ever ails you, my thoughts are with you. We are here for you and I hope your days ahead cheer you up)

Brad..Wow, you are looking hot these days..lol Seriously, good to see you are still around.I hope all your Hoya are doing great still..

It rained like crazy today and I had all mine out there in it..They loved it..It is funny though. I noticed that once you place a hoya in bloom any where different from where it's use to growing, mant flowers dry up..Does that happen to anyone?

Greedy, you are right..Boy not only does Joni do a great job, but she is so sweet..I wish I could stroll through her set up one day..Imagine being able to see thousands of different Hoyas???/
  • moonwolf_gw
    8 years ago

Mikerno, lol Yeah I've picked up a few beauty tips these past few years :p. My plants are doing great! LOTS of new growth and even a peduncle on my shepherdii :).

Joni sells both DS-70 (or check the big box stores-Wal-Mart, KMart, Lowe's, HD, etc.,) and the pubicalyxes. Also try Gardino Nursery (I got my shepherdii from them).

Speaking of stars, one of my favorite Cyndi Lauper songs (I went as her last Halloween and it was a HUGE hit) has stars in the title. It's a beautiful song if you've never heard it. Here she is singing it live. Cyndi Lauper-Hat Full Of Stars Live

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• Denise
    8 years ago

The pubicalyx groups has always been some of my favorites - they tend to smell like a good musky fragrance to me. I have never been able to detect any fragrance whatsoever on DS-70... I don't know if my sense of smell isn't as sensitive as others or if I have a clone that is fragrance free...

But if I had to pick one, I think it would be verticillata. Describing smells is not my strong suit, so I will just say that it's sweet and draws you in to find the source of the fragrance.

Oh, and all my pubicalyx are large, and I do sell cuttings... greengirl1958@yahoo.com

Denise in Omaha

• greedyghost
    8 years ago

@ mikerno

LOL! I never thought about putting a Hoya by my catbox. There's actually a good window there, if I can keep the door from hitting it.

I was lucky enough to see Joni's setup in Florida, before she moved, and I can confirm that it is an utterly overwhelming experience. She poured me a mug of coffee and left me alone to wander, and then... I don't remember anything... until I was outside again. I think I Hoya-overdosed. I just remember thinking a lot: Oh, THAT'S what they look like when they are full sized! Because at that point, all I had were Hoya-puppies and somehow they look really different when they are full grown. I saw a lot of Hoyas that day that I had pooh-poohed, when I was looking at her website, and once I saw them in the flesh, I understood what made them alluring. I have that experience a lot with Hoyas. Joni is a patient web-curator and a gifted photographer, but it's really hard to take photos that capture their souls.

And you are right about her being sweet. As much as I enjoyed seeing her Hoyas, it was infinitely better to meet her. She's a rare soul. That's the only way I can put it. Definitely one of the most interesting, thoughtful and honest persons I've ever met.

I don't move my Hoyas around much, so I haven't witnessed the flower-drying you speak of, but it doesn't surprise me. When you buy a rooted Hoya it always seems to take it for-ev-er to adapt to its new environment and get growing, relative to other types of plants. I think they really hate change! Not like they're going to die of it. But they take their sweet time taking their notes and making their calculations, before they set a toe forward again. Kind of like a cat entering a foreign room.

@ denise_gw

It's your clone. I am sure of it. I got back into town yesterday, walked into my kitchen, and immediately smelled mine, which was upstairs and in my bedroom and only had 2 peduncles open.

• myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Greedy..I hear yah on that!! I don't think any of us up here in the north can truly comprehend the size and magnitude of most of these plants until we see them at their most mature size..Then I think I get pretty scared thinking that I just won't be able to handle one in my house, let alone the 20 or so I have that are all only about 3 years old..lol I can almost understand how you felt!
    I do have one my brother gave me that is about 6 feet long and hangs over a round table about 7 feet tall..That one is one HUGE plant and it grew that way hanging from a tree outside for only one year. I am almost afraid to make them all happy for fear they will all become monsters I can no longer handle..lol
    I kind of like them in 5 inch pots only about a foot or two long with only a few flowers..That's my size..Then I can fit dozens in the home all over..Get it?
    I use to have Hosta's in my yard that never did really well. They always seemed to grow small and managable and so I went ahead and bought another 25 varieties..I added Cow poop and then all of a sudden they turned to giants! I am over whelmed..lol You see? I am almost afraid to feed the Hoyas I have same.
    I hope to some day to visit Joan..She actually drops me an e-mail once in a while making sure I am ok..She is so full of kindness..

Yes, I have three Hoys growing in my greenhouse all in bloom..All I did was take them out for an evening for a good soaking from rain, the next day the few flowers opened turned brown and died off...Too funny..

The Kitty box idea was something I happen to fall upon..ha..The hallway stunk really bad the other day again and once I opened the door to my bed room, the fragrance from the Hoya there filled that hallway knocking down any poop smell at all there..Like spray freshener..lol

Denise. how are you? I had no idea there was that many..You know, I will go with the one you suggest that draws you in..Love the way you put that! Thank you

Do you have Vercitilla? Do you have a pic? How big is it? I would be truly interested in buying some cuttings for you if at all possible....Thank you
  • myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Brad, just in case you had no idea..I LOVE Cyndi Lauper!!! I love the movie Goonies too..Laughed my head off...Thanks for the input and it's good to hear your plants are doing ok..Bravo)
  • moonwolf_gw
    8 years ago

Mikerno, nope I had no idea that you LOVE Cyndi Lauper, too! The Goonies is a great movie! I was born in '90, so I grew up in a great decade, too. I do love the 80's though. A lot of my favorite movies, TV shows, and music artists are from that time. My garden's nicknamed after that badly reviewed, but universally adored movie (that later became a hit Broadway musical), Xanadu. I also love Rainbow Brite, ALF, Jem (see above posts to GG), and The Golden Girls, and many others. One of my favorite movies is Labyrinth :D.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• greedyghost
    8 years ago

Mikerno, you are the cat's pajamas. Just send me a message and I'll send you a DS-70 cutting if you don't get it from a proper order. That's sweet that Joni checks in on you. Verticillata is a beautiful plant, and I hope you can get it from Denise!

I am 100% on the same page as you about being intimidated by Hoyas growing like gangbusters.* But then every so often I watch someone else doing a beautiful job growing them to the max and I feel inclined to go that direction and consequences be damned. I guess I'm just wishy washy. Right now I'm just focusing on improving their medium and humidity levels. Next year... I'll make a decision about increasing lights... using tents... etc.... but I'll probably have to double my shelving at the same time. Ahhhhhh. Idk... It's so tricky trying to decide how much of your life your hobby can take over before you just stop having fun. I'm right on the edge now.

*Although I hope the Hostas I just planted grow like gangbusters. I planted them and then sat there watching out my window as this bunny kept hopping out from the daylilies and playing with the stack of plastic containers they had previously been in. And I got all paranoid. But then the stupid rabbit ignored the Hostas and ate my Bugbane instead. Argggggg.

Labyrinth is the best, Brad! David Bowie is the best! I just rewatched it last weekend. And I agree you were born in the wrong decade. It's a time crime.

• moonwolf_gw
    8 years ago

GG, I love Labyrinth! It makes me smile I see it or when I listen to the songs. I was going to keep it a surprise, but I am making Sarah's hair jewelry from the ballroom scene/As The World Falls Down (perhaps my favorite tune from the soundtrack) for this year's Halloween costume, BUT I am not going as Sarah! I've only started it not long ago. This is the left side.

I had a moment where I was like "I wonder if this would work?" this meaning the wig head and the pins. I think it'll be better once I get the wig (white or blonde for the character I'm going as).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• greedyghost
    8 years ago

Wow, that's such a cool project! I love it!!! Can't wait to see your costume, too.

• moonwolf_gw
    8 years ago

Thank you, GG! :) I can't wait until the whole costume is done. It will be the most detailed yet and the most homemade seeing that my friend and I are going to make the actual costume. So many things yet to gather yet for it! I definitely need more wire. I also need a hoop skirt/crinoline petticoat, the wig, the shoes, and maybe some make-up, if any (I have some plus we're going to make some with coconut oil and crayons). I finished two other accessories: a fan that I glued rhinestones/sequins to and a lace parasol that I added some embellishments to as well (can't say what shape/object they are as that would give away the costume ;) ).

The hair jewelry won't be an exact replica since I won't have the vines in my wig/hair like Sarah/Jennifer Connelly did. Maybe I'll use the ribbons, though. I'll have to see when the "frame"/wirework is all done. I also made hairpins that also bear the shape of the fan and parasol embellishments to help hold it in a while ago.

GG, I think we should trade again in the future ;).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• Denise
    8 years ago

Mikerno, verticillata is a great grower and easy bloomer...

My mother plant had a bunch of stems that started to dehydrate last winter and I took a bunch of cuttings, which all rooted and plumped right back up. Mother plant recovered beautifully and is growing gangbusters again, thankfully, as it's fragrance is one of my favorites...

I'm not even sure I know all the different pubicalyx cultivars. My BIG ones are 'Royal Hawaiian Purple', 'Red Buttons', 'Bright One' and 'Pink Silver' and if I had to pick my favorite, it would definitely be my 'PS' as mine is a very splashy clone...
    In the last year, I got two more - 'Black Dragon' and 'Philippine Black' which may be the same as 'Chimera'. They're still quite small...

Denise

• Rainthistle (Oregon)
    8 years ago

Wow Denise, that is a beautiful Pink Silver! Mine is much quieter, just a few flecks on the leaves. Would you trade a cutting?

Brad, that costume sounds fabulous! Will you be posting lots of pics?

• moonwolf_gw
    8 years ago

I sure will be, Nianyu! Once everything gets done, there'll be lots of pictures!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• greedyghost
    8 years ago

Brad, I am having trouble getting organized enough to trade this spring/early-summer, but will do some trades in late summer, so hit me up again then.

• moonwolf_gw
    8 years ago

Will do, GG!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hey everyone! Thanks again for the laughs and info..It's been a long weekend and I hope you all had a nice one too..I was debating if I should repot any of my Hoya since they dry out more often than I want, but boy do they look good in the pots they are already in..I hate to fix what is not broken.lol

Denise, my goodness....I don't think I have ever seen a plant so beautiful as that lately..That is so very nice! Yes, if you should ever trim that one, I would buy a cutting off of you..I love color at times more than flowers! I think I mighty have a Ver.I will have to double check and if I don't see a tag, I will come by and ask you all...Thank you for such beautiful pics..I just love Hoya, especially when you can hang them outside and water away.

GG, I hear you about making sure a Hobby does not become a burden or chore...Goodness, that has happened to me before with certain plants and I ended up throwing them out when they got bugs...Bugs can just about send me over the edge in winter and luckily I have none at all the past few years..Thanks for the offer.Much appreciated. I think I just might have a DS-70 if they are sold at stores..I think I might have one and not even know it. How about if I take a few pics and you let me know if what I have is even one? I have no idea. They never label them in the greenhouse or nurseries..In fact, none that I have ever bought have names on them, just the word.Tropical Plant,

I did buy an Estrella Falls because of you..lol My mother loves it and it's just a cutting..I wonder why? I got it from our sweet friend Joan and I already brushed it with root powder and it's sitting in my very warm greenhouse hanging..Boy it's along cutting.lol Now I just sit back and wait for the new growth. I have never had a problem rooting cutting thank God..They always make it as long as I keep them warm and moist.lolol I hear you about critters eating your plants..I had to invest in granules that keep them out..And to think something ate your Bugbane? That is one of my favorite plants..I have 6. Too comical...Thanks for the much needed laugh..lol

Brad, I am not sure what you are up to, but all this talk of Halloween is making me sick..lol It will be here before we know it, trust me..Now that July 4th is past, time will fly!

• greentoe357
    8 years ago

Sorry, I still need to get to many of the replies above, but before I forget, I need to correct myself on something.

> Hoya sp. Estrella Waterfalls (it's been published, actually; new name Hoya estrellaensis)

I learned since then that apparently not every sp. Estrella Waterfalls should now be called estrellaensis. Joni of SRQhoyas says sp. Estrella Waterfalls IML 1256 (aka DMC5459) is different from what was published as Hoya estrellaensis. If you have a facebook account, then see this for the conversation: https://www.facebook.com/SRQHoyas/posts/10153472329976468.

Hoya estrellaensis was published by Ted Green and Dale Kloppenburg in Asklepios 114 [Sep 2012]. I do not think Asklepios issues are in public access, or at least I was not able to find this in order to read the species description. But in any case, I learned a lesson: don't rename what you receive as "sp. Estrella Waterfalls IML 1256" just because *a* sp. Estrella Waterfalls has been given a new name.

GG, what is the full name of your sp. Estrella Eaterfalls, the amazingly-fragrant one? Or do you have a few clones?

• Kim
    8 years ago

The very next Hoya I buy will be one of these. Would SRQ be a good source, or do you have suggestions of where I could look?

• Rainthistle (Oregon)
    8 years ago

Kim, I've bought a number of cuttings from SRQ and they have all been top quality. I'd highly recommend anything Joni sells. I think the question would be whether you want the IML 1256 or the one that was renamed to estrellaensis. It's made my buy-list as well, but I want to be sure I'm getting the fragrant one!

• Kim
    8 years ago

I want whichever one Greedyghost is so excited over!

• tavimh
    8 years ago

I love my little lacunosa! It smells like carnations and hyacinths to me. I'm eagerly waiting on my H. australis, H. obscura and H. heuschkeliana to think about blooming.

Greedyghost -- I'm taking cuttings of the two H. australises, H. obscura, and H. lacunosa, with me to Japan. I really love them and I simply cannot bear to leave my plants like I had planned. So I'm filling out paperwork and getting phytosanitary certificates for four Hoya cuttings, eleven African violets, and two other Gesneriads. :) It is amazing what different personalities those two H. australises have, they are both so charming, but they look quite different. <3

• myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Greentoe, I would see to see a pic of your Hoya when it blooms...

Mark, I am so sorry..I am just seeing your post now looking back to make sure I did not miss anything,,No problem..I will e-mail you soon.

Tavimh, they sound so beautiful..Enjoy the smells...

Kim, I agree.

Greedyghost, I hope you are well..I miss you these days..I will be posting some of my Hoya with no name I hope someone can help me identify..

Denise, I hope you are well)

Brad, keep plugging away..I hope you are enjoying some fragrance these days.

• moonwolf_gw
    8 years ago

I am mikerno, but only from my outdoor plants/garden, which is still wonderful :). Lol I enjoy Halloween very much, but I am by no means ready for it yet. Still so much to do on my costume (it's extremely detailed).

Still keeping an eye on my shepherdii and my Mathilde for any signs of buds :).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Brad, I am not read for Hlaloween either, but I tell you, if this weather patter stays the same, we are in store for a very early winter like last year and I will not be happy about it..lool.
    Listen, I now have another favorite! It smells kind of spicy with a hint of vanilla in it..Do you think I can remember the name..It just opened this morning..

Greedyghost, where ever you are I am thinking of you. I know you had been dealing with things and I hope much joy finds it way to you. You have been a huge help here and would be surely missed if you were not here)
  • moonwolf_gw
    8 years ago

Not sure of which Hoya that might be, but it sounds delightful :). And I hope we don't have an early winter. I'm not ready for that yet. I do Winter Sowing to help me with the days where it's too dreary (wish I could do that in November-ugh). I love looking at the snow falling and covering everything and the icicles. I could do without the winds, though. Living in a valley, you can't help that much lol.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• skysong4
    6 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm sorry to be jumping on an old thread, but I have to ask - did anyone ever find Estrella Waterfalls IML 1256 that GG spoke of so eloquently? I am just starting out with hoyas, but the description of that one is amazing, and I'd love to try it! I'm having a hard time finding it though. Are there any vendors that have it, or is there anyone willing to sell me a cutting? Thanks!

• Randi Holbrook
    6 years ago

Greedyghost, are you a writer? Your original post tells me either you are, or you SHOULD be! Eloquent!

• Christian Sin
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

beastlyflower2012 on ebay is selling a few cuttings. Although it isn't labelled with IML 1256, the leaves look correct, as opposed to the IML 1627, which has the same name (I think).

• skysong4
    6 years ago

Christian, thank you! From what was said earlier in this thread, IML 1627 is the one that was renamed Hoya estrellaensis, but IML 1256 is the one that GG was in love with, that is known as Estrella Waterfalls, so that's the one I want. But since it's so complicated, I was hesitant to buy a cutting without knowing which it was. If you think it looks like the right one, though, I'll look into it! I've never grown a hoya cutting, though, so I'm a little nervous. Hopefully if I get it, I won't kill it!

• skysong4
    6 years ago

So I asked the seller, and they said they don't know which one it is, but "This one has yellow flowers and when mature long veined leaves." Is that helpful to identify it?

• aurorawa
    6 years ago

There are two different plants collected from Estrella Falls, in Nara, Phillipines. One was collected by Charles Marden Fitch, who labeled it DMC 5459. David Little received the plant from Mr. Fitch and gave it his own accession numbers of 1257 and 1258. The ERROR of IML 1256 was generated when Joni (formerly owner of SRQ Hoyas) received it labeled as such from David Liddle.

This one should still be labeled as Hoya sp. Estrella Waterfalls (even though some people are keen on changing the name to Hoya estrellensis), as the plant does not seem to match the species description.

The second plant found from Estrella Waterfalls, was given to Mr. Liddle by Ted Green. Mr. Liddle gave it the IML number of 1627.

Neither plant looks alike except that both have yellow flowers, although sp. IML 1257's flowers are tiny and more on the green spectrum of yellow.

I do have both plants, and would photograph them, but once again, I am in the process of moving them BACK outside (for the zillionth time) for the warm seasons. Hopefully, this time, they can stay out, lol.

For further info:

http://srqhoyas.com/blog/hoya-sp-estrella-waterfalls-iml-1256-vs-iml-1627/

• skysong4
    6 years ago

Thank you so much, that information helped a lot!! I looked at the SRQ Hoyas page and found pictures of each of them - they look different enough that I feel decently confident that the seller does indeed have IML 1256!

• Christian Sin
    6 years ago

I bought a cutting from the listing above, i'll post a picture of what I got, although I'm happy with either plant, that scent of the correct hoya would be an amazing bonus!

• Christian Sin
    6 years ago

• skysong4
    6 years ago

Thanks for the update and pics, Christian! Based on the photos I found here https://srqhoyas.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=36_41&products_id=1438 and here https://srqhoyas.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35&products_id=719, it does look like IML 1256! I also bought a cutting from that vendor, which should arrive later this week! I'm quite excited to get it, although I'm also a little scared that I'll kill it, since I've never rooted a hoya cutting before...

Is that a semi-hydro setup for your cuttings? I've been trying to read up on how to root hoyas, and it seems that a lot of people recommend that type of setup for rooting hoya cuttings. Now I just need to figure out where to get the media...

• Christian Sin
    6 years ago

It's exciting! I was nervous too when I first started, and I've got a good handful of hoya since then, and I've (so far) only lost one, meredithii which I bought to try again, from Susan (same vendor).

I want to keep em in those cups for awhile, until roots are pretty grown into the media. Then hopefully I can use finer media and eventually grow them outdoors. Normally I have a little water sitting in the bottom of the cup, and allow it to dry out quite a bit.

Good luck with your cuttings!

• skysong4
    6 years ago

Good to know, thank you! Good luck with your cuttings also!

• Staci Przybysz-Lawrence
    6 years ago

anyone who has RHP, does it smell like red buttons mentioned above?

• shelley7950
    6 years ago

My RHP smells like carnosa....Still waiting on my Red Buttons to bloom, so I can't say if RHP and Red Buttons smell alike, but my bet is that they do :-)

• richardiraha12
    6 years ago

Myermike, did you ever find out the variety of the hoya in your original post? The citrus,lemon,vanilla scented one? I grow all my hoyas,orchids,houseplants specifically for fragrance throughout the year. Id love to acquire one. Thanks!

• laticauda
    6 years ago

I would like to know as well. I have a reverted variegated carnosa (so it's all green), an obovata and the DS70/bilobata being sold by Costa Farms right now. I actually have two. I got them for 3 dollars a piece. One was really water logged and I just let them both dry out and the soggy one, I should have unpotted it, probably. I'm still taking care of it, not sure if it'll get better. It has spots on some of it's leaves. It's really pathetic but I think it could be getting better? Sorry for the tangent there.

• skysong4
    6 years ago

Based on what was written in later posts, Meyermike's hoya was Hoya finlaysonii.

• laticauda
    6 years ago

I just wanted to add a Hoya I have and forgot about while making my previous post. Diversifolia. Denise sent me some of this almost 3 years ago.

• myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hello all! I almost forgot about this thread. Thanks .

Unfortunatly I lost this plant!! It fried in my greenhouse by accident. It fell behind a shelf and I never noticed until it was completely dead cleaning it up this past summer. I will forever miss this one. I am hoping to purchase another or some way get a cutting soon. It was one of my favorite and Greedyghost got the name right.

if anyone knows a seller or a person willing to share, please let me know. Hopefully everyone is doing well)

The description of the others here and the pictures are very nice. Thank you.

Richard, it's the name that Greedyghost said shortly after I posted a pic of it.

Mike

• skysong4
    6 years ago

Mike, I'm really sorry to hear about your plant, that really sucks! I just looked, and Gardino Nursery has it: http://gardinonursery.com/hoyas/683-hoya-finlaysonii.html.

Do you happen to remember around how often it flowered, or how strong the scent was? Is it one of the pickier hoyas, or would it be ok in relatively low light (aka probably a northeast-ish window)? Your description of the scent, as well as the look of the veins in the leaves is really tempting me to add it at the top of my "plants I want to order when the weather is warm enough" list...

• 2coryman
    3 years ago

What is its name please

• 2coryman
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Is it the variety that has been renamed, I hear there are different hoya Estrella waterfalls and if so would they all have that good fragrance??

> Hoya sp. Estrella Waterfalls (it's been published, actually; new name Hoya estrellaensis)

many would want a cutting from you, if possible without hurting your plant, may I buy a small viable cutting please??

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!