SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zensojourner

Transplanting edible ginger

Pyewacket
8 years ago

So this is what the rootball looked like straight out of the old pot:

YIPES! I was not prepared for all those big fat roots!

The mission is to replant some of the rhizomes. To that end, I have a much larger pot, 17" diameter (ID) and about 14" tall. By comparison, a 5 gallon bucket is 11" ID and about 14.5" tall. I'm guessing this is probably around 8 gallons actual volume (as opposed to the pretend volumes of nursery containers, where 1 gallon is not really a whole gallon).

The old pot was about 10" or 10.5" diameter (ID) and about 9.5" tall, and the rhizomes were planted near the surface of that pot - didn't know any better at the time.

I will be replanting rhizomes on top of about 4" of new potting medium and then covering just to where the new shoots are coming out. I'm pretty sure those big fat roots are not going to fit, at least not all of them, and most of the fine white roots fell away with the old medium.

So - do I just ruthlessly pull off all the big fat roots?

Should I leave any existing foliage that hasn't already died back, or cut that off?

OK to break off the big chunks and stick the small pinky chunks with shoots or shoots-to-be into the bottom of the new pot without waiting for the breaks to "cure" or dry?

Clump #1

Clump #2

Clump #3

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions