SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

OT: Update on Summer

John Liu
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I've been scarce here in the past few months, so I thought I'd post a quick update on how summer is going chez johnliu. There is some cooking content here, but consider it an "Off Topic" post.

Daughter-san came home from her freshman year of college for three days, then went to start her camp job in Tahoe, California. This is her fourth year working at the Berkeley family camp. She started as a 16 y/o dishwasher and dogsbody in the kitchen, became a cook, then an assistant supe, this summer she is Head of Kitchen and thus supervising all meal prep, creating menus, scheduling kitchen staff, ordering food and supplies, etc. They feed up to 140 people, three meals a day, and because the campers are Berkeley families, the food is expected to be good. During the last few months of the school year, she came home on weekends, studied cookbooks, and tested recipes including vegetarian and gluten free variants. So far, things are going well and the food is, she says, well-reviewed.

Next year she will probably be in charge of the entire food operation which means also hiring and supervising the dining hall staff. It is a great job for a college kid, very long hours but also a lot of fun, and the additional money is welcome, especially since they can't really spend it (camp is at 8,000 feet in the Sierras, miles from any stores).

Next school year, she'll move from the dorms into an apartment, and is looking forward to being able to cook and entertain.

Dear Son finished his freshman year of high school, and the first year of his after school dance program. I guess freshman year in a big HS is a bit tough for many kids, suddenly being the smallest fish in a big pond, and he had his ups and downs, and dancing 18 hours/week didn't help. At one point he planned to drop out of the dance program, but as the year went on, I think he enjoyed it more and at present, he plans to continue dancing for at least the coming year. Here is a photo I took of him and his friend/partner during one of their year-end performances. (edit: thanks plllog, for the photo tutorial.)

His summer will include interning at the Berkeley camp, rehearsing and performing with a local professional dance company, participating in a summer ballet intensive class (he doesn't really like ballet, but they asked him because he has the upper body strength to lift the ballerinas, unlike many other 16 y/o boy ballet dancers), attending a theatre camp in New York, visiting the Smithsonian in DC with SWMBO, and if we can squeeze it in, he wants to take a one week sailing class (teenagers learning to sail C420s on the Williamette River, sounds fun). Somewhere in there he and his buddies will have some video game all-nighter "sleepovers" in the tree house (which is now wired with electricity, a refrigerator, etc), hang out at the local comic book stores and skate parks, and read - he is absorbed in Frank Herbert's "Dune" now.

SWMBO will be accompanying DS for his summer trips, which will keep her plenty busy all summer.

Sarah, the young lady who is living with us, got a job with a local environmental non-profit, which will be a good start toward making connections and getting her feet on the ground here in Portland. Thanks to her pescatarian ways, we are eating more fish and seafood.

I got a new cookbook for Fathers Day, by this lady: http://www.maangchi.com and am starting to try out some Korean recipes. My job is winding down over the next two months and, while I'm anxious about having to find another one, I'm enjoying a couple of pretty relaxed months at work and am actually somewhat looking forward to some time off after that. SWMBO wants to start working on the kitchen, so in a week or so I will demolish one wall and starting working on cabinetry.

So that's what's new. Hoping to post some Korean dishes soon.

Comments (56)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting