SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Visiting a Midnight Castle after the Storms

shive
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

In the early morning hours we had some pretty strong storms that knocked our power out for nearly four hours. I slept late because everything was so wet outside. Luckily it was overcast when I went outside to photograph in the late morning, and the lighting was perfect.

The first thing I saw was Midnight Castle, and I was amazed and awestruck. The first bloom opened early this week with a major case of splotching. But this 7-inch bloom was nearly perfect, despite all the rain. I am absolutely in love with this flower. It is definitely my favorite new one this spring. And it's knocked Jeanne Deaver's Dream out of first place for my favorite purple. I can't wait to cross those two.

Midnight Castle from another angle

Spacecoast Francis Busby had it's first flower open yesterday.

Today she was looking more recurved.

Two extremely large blooms on Baja California today that exceeded 7 inches. To the left of Baja is the Trimmer seedling and Insider Trading in the distance. Also is the background is my Coreopsis border.

In the backyard, there was no missing the big 10 inch pink blooms of Pretty Desirable and the huge clump of Integrated Logistics.

Here's the other side of the Integrated Logistics clump. Integrated Logistics is one of the best performers in my garden. An extremely vigorous plant, it always puts on a nice show. I only wished it rebloomed.

Closeup of one of the sculpted blooms. Not all the blooms have the throat pinching that pleats the petals. About half do today.

This is one of my Shores of Time X Rosy Rhino seedlings. I've always considered this one the lesser of the two sibs. In the past two years, the bloom did not have as good a form as the seedling I garden named "Valentine Sweetheart." It also stayed just one fan until this year. And, until now, it hadn't rebloomed. This season it has 14 buds and an instant rebloom scape.

Another of my three-year-old seedlings, Sun Bear X Julie Newmar #2 has been showing off this week. This is the first year it's shown some tiny white teeth.

Debra

Comments (20)