SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

Genealogists: Antique Casket Plaques on eBay

Alisande
8 years ago

Some of you probably know all about these, but I had no idea they existed until this one appeared in my email today:

Child's Casket Plaque from 1890

I received the email from eBay because of a permanent search I have for my grandmother's name: Alice Campbell. Obviously, this is a different Alice Campbell. But how interesting . . . and so I went looking for others on eBay, and found a bunch. I wonder how they get separated from the caskets. Would they be applied only to caskets that don't go in the ground?

Comments (3)

• User
    8 years ago

I would be questioning the authenticity of that plaque. The engraving looks as fresh as if it were done today and is badly executed. Some of the others I saw were more convincing, but, as you said, where would they get them from? If something smells fishy............

• graywings123
    8 years ago

I can't imagine why anyone would buy something that memorializes such a horribly sad event, unless it was to get it back in the family. I found this via a google search:

The history of Coffin Plates or casket plates is a long but not very
    well documented one. Coffin plates are decorative adornments attached to
    a coffin that contain genealogical information like the name and death
    date of the deceased. In Victorian Times (and earlier) the coffin plate
    was removed and presented to the family as a memento of the dearly
    departed.

With almost 500 coffin plates now online,
    AncestorsAtRest.com is the largest repository of these wonderful
    genealogical treasures. Each coffin plate has the name of the deceased
    plus date of death, and usually date of birth. Images of the plates are
    provided. You can search these coffin plates for free - who knows, you might find an ancestor or two!

• User
    8 years ago

I have one that says "At Rest". I bought it about 55 years ago. As I recall, there were tons of different ones. I don't know why I chose that one.