SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zagyzebra

New Electroluxe refrigerator fan is always on

zagyzebra
8 years ago

I have a new French door, bottom freezer Electroluxe. The fan almost constantly runs. I am told by Electroluxe that in the newer energy efficient refrigerator models the fan runs most all the time in order to keep the refrigerator at a consistent temperature, rather than the refrigerator turning off and on. The constant noise doesn't seem to bother anyone else besides me, because I haven't been able to find one single online customer complaint about it. The closest "fix" anyone has suggested is "noise cancellation" -- kinda like drowning out one irritating noise for a different more soothing noise, which is more like a bandaid not a fix.

Two technicians have been out to check the refrigerator. The first one found and repaired a freon leak. He also commented that these Electroluxe refrigerators have a problem because the fan is inside the refrigerator, rather than at the back of the refrigerator like other brands (he mentioned GE), thus making it louder than other brands.

The second technician came today, checked the temperature briefly and said it's working beautifully. (Well heck, I could've checked the temperature -- it's just a matter of opening the door and looking at the digital display.) When I complained about the irritating and incessant fan noise, he looked at me like I was crazy and said, "This noise bothers you? Well then, I can't help you. This fan runs all the time."

During the month I've had the refrigerator installed, the fan has only quit maybe two times a day, and at that for a very brief periods of time. The refrigerator is brand new out of the box. It sat in storage for more than a year while we finished construction on the rest of the house and until I moved back in.

Does anyone have any suggestions for reducing the running time of the fan and/or abating the noise from the fan? It isn't particularly loud; it's just always on. Is it really normal for the fan to run all the time in these energy efficient models? Are there other more quiet energy efficient refrigerators? Because if there are, we need to let the GardenWeb community know about them.

It would be nice to hear the birds without the constant hum of the refrigerator fan running in the background. Sometimes I just want to throw a rock at the damn thing.

The model number is EI23BC60KS3.

Comments (9)