SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pieter_k

Image scaling test and implications of what details you're missing

After not doing much posting, particularly in the image department, I decided in a posting in a thread I didn't want to hijack, to see what scaling of uploaded images happens.

The vertical image of the scape you see was uploaded at a size/resolution of 1277 x 1926. It was scaled in the upload process to 656 x 990, a reduction of almost 75%. Using both images posted in that thread I'll illustrate the impact on the amount of detail you cannot see by having to deal with scaled images, rather than being able to download the file at the resolution it was initially uploaded at.

I can understand houzz wanting to scale the images for in-line display as that greatly impacts on the bandwidth, but disc storage is dirt cheap these days and being able to download an image to one's own computer at the original resolution allows for much more detail to be seen, something that would be potentially quite helpful for example when trying to help someone ID a NOID.

The 2 examples are perhaps not the best examples of what you're missing, but I hope they do get the point across.

Here's the first image as posted in the other thread:

And here is the amount of detail you could have seen had you been able to download the original image to your own computer.

What I have done here is cropped an area the size of the houzz-crop, and I'll do the same with the 2nd image.

And this is what you'd be missing:

Admittedly not dramatic examples, I'll do some digging for some better ones and post them as a follow-up.

Pieter

Comment