SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lillivewire87

Is Green Zebra Determinate or Indeterminate?

lillivewire87
8 years ago

Hi all. First post on here. I am not new to gardening, but I am not the most knowledgeable either....I grew up helping my dad with his big garden plot, however, I didn't like tomatoes until my adult years, so didn't really pay attention to the particulars of growing those plants.

I have been restricted as far as area and typically grow a couple cherry tomatoes in planter my father made me, and a couple "fun" varieties in two 16" (10 gal?) containers. This year I have a grafted Hawaiian Pineapple and a Cherokee Purple in the containers, both of which are doing well. And I have a sweet million and a sun gold in my planter...also doing well....blossoms and green fruit EVERYWHERE!

I figured out I have one more spot in the yard that will get enough sun and fits a 10 gal container nicely. I knew it was a little late to plant, but thought I would run down to the nursery and see if they had any larger seedlings that might be grown enough to do ok. I grabbed a healthy looking Green Zebra that had about 2 feet of height and a nice thick central stem as well as what appears to be 2 side shoots. The plant has a couple blossoms and it is nicely situated where it will get 6+ hours of sun, mostly morning sun, and is staked.

I didn't notice it at the nursery, but the tag actually says "DETERMINATE". I have never grown a determinate variety of tomato, and I was under the general impression that Green Zebra was an indeterminate "heirloom". My question is...I am finding conflicting information all over the place on the wonderful interwebs so I thought I would ask here...Which one is it? And if it is determinate should I pinch the blossoms since the plant is still relatively small? I know you don't typically prune determinate tomatoes as it can affect the yield and all the fruit is supposed to ripen at the same time??? Does it still need to be staked??? Never having grown a determinate variety I am not too sure how to proceed with this plant...if it is indeed determinate.

Thanks,
Chantay (Oregon, Zone 8b)

Comments (9)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES