SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cjrosaphile

Are there any fragrant orange roses?

cjrosaphile
8 years ago

I've been searching thru the threads about orange roses and have been checking out those listed. However, I haven't found any with moderate to strong fragrance. Anybody?

Comments (38)

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Fragrant Cloud is the main one I can think of. I'm sure there are others. I have Tropicana, America and Folklore, which are all supposed to be fragrant, but I can only detect a light fragrance in them. Cinnamon Dolce, which is new to me this year and sometimes looks orange has a nice fragrance..

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    8 years ago

Royal Sunset has a wonderful fragrance, but it's a climber.

• Related Discussions

Any changes to this long list of fragrant roses?

Q

Comments (20)
    You're welcome! It's not odd that cooler zones will report more fragrance from many than warmer areas. Those in the cooler places are probably smelling them when the oils and alcohols are most volatile and smell the most. We in the warmer areas often miss out because they evaporate faster as the heat increases. Also, as aridity increases, the scents burn out faster. The various components of each rose's fragrance evaporate at different rates, so one may smell very Damask at first, quickly morphing into orris or citrus, finishing a completely different scent before losing any detectable trace for the day. Any user can access the Advanced Search, but Premium Membership permits you to specify multiple traits and types, where basic membership only provides Advanced Search using one criteria. Kim
    ...See More

Ambassador/Marina - orange?Fragrant?

Q

Comments (1)
    I don't recollect any scent on either.... but then I don't keep track of fragrances that much. I only remember the ones that are particularly smelly, and neither of these are for me!
    ...See More

any peach plumies - fragrant - no orange color

Q

Comments (6)
    LOL! I knew I should have picked one of those up. The flowers and scent are outstanding. Oh, now I remember why I didn't. If memory serves correctly, the branches were very very thin and it worried me. Tony
    ...See More

Striped orange rose: Any idea?

Q

Comments (2)
    It's a florist rose. There are several florist websites that show all sorts of varieties by name. I've never seen that one before. Must be a new one.
    ...See More
  • jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    8 years ago

I don't see my answer that I posted earlier so I will retry again.

I have Voodoo, Strike it Rich, About Face and Tropicana. Voodoo is supposed to be very fragrant. I don't smell anything yet and this may be due to my stuffy nose as I have allergies. I love all of them but Voodoo really stands out for me as the colour is crisp and clear; you probably could spot this rose miles away. The flower is exquisitely beautiful. My only complaint is that it is a hybrid tea and like its class, it form single flowers. The good thing is that it repeats very quickly. In my opinion, everyone should grow this rose as it is so beautiful. I think I've waited more than ten years to come across this rose. I read it in a book as a teenager but was never able to find it. As luck would have it, I finally found one this year. My regret is I should have gotten the other one (there was only two) when I saw it...lol.

• steve_gw
    8 years ago

Some folks consider Dolly Parton to be orange, has a powerful fragrance!!

• Joe Moose, Zone 9A
    8 years ago

Golden Buddha has a moderate/strong fragrance to my nose, but it's more of an apricot/light orange. Fragrant Cloud is more coral than orange, but lives up to its name - I can smell it a foot or two away.

• Ken (N.E.GA.mts) 7a/b
    8 years ago

I like Lady of Shallot.

• parker25mv
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Jude the Obscure is a light orange (apricot) color, and has been described by some as the "most" fragrant variety of rose. It smells somewhat like grapefruit and tangerine with tropical fruity tones.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    8 years ago

Granada

• cjrosaphile
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you everyone. People's opinions about what orange is, is interesting. I love apricot roses and have Polka, Impressionist, Apricot Impressionist, Marie Curie, Lawrence of Arabia, Crown Princess Margareta to name a few. Really am wanting orange orange. I do have Livin' Easy which is a great rose but not really fragrant. Also have had Oktoberfest (not vigorous), and Westerland. But many do not have fragrance. I have had Golden Buddha which was more yellow to my eye. Voodoo didn't do well for me. Fragrant Cloud is more coral and not really orange to me. Did have Royal Sunset and Royal Pageant but they were not very fragrant, but then I have a lot of Austins so my opinion about fragrance may have changed. Marmalade Skies is another more coral rose. Anybody grow Vavoom? Did just see Good As Gold and it had a moderate apple fragrance which was nice. Maybe this next season. . .
    Check this out: http://www.weeksroses.com/_RoseColors/Orange.html

• kublakan
    8 years ago

Fragrant Cloud is my all time stinker. I almost find it too strong as a cut flower in a vase. As far as it not being an orange, I find it's reverse to be more reddish than it's face, but I wouldn't call it NOT orange.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    8 years ago

Soleil D'Or is quite fragrant.

• cjrosaphile
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Dar, I saw Soleil D'Or at the Portland Rose Garden but haven't seen anywhere sell it. HMF gives it a Good- and says it has bs susceptibility. I don't spray. Thought I took a picture of it and this is what I found.

Centennial Star

Good As Gold

• cjrosaphile
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The rose on top is Honey Perfume. I had forgotten that I had these photos. And it is amazing to me that so many of them are orange/orange gold.

Daybreaker

Jean Giono
    Sundance
    Here are more. . .

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    8 years ago

I bet Royal Sunset would do fine in zone 9b, phylis. We're up at like 97 degrees with heat indices near 110 now, and mine hasn't shown any signs of not liking things (in full sun, but I do prefer her colors with a little shade). The flowers on her open quickly anyway, so she doesn't last a tremendous amount of days in windy areas, etc. She's probably more fragrant in hot, humid areas I bet, if the OP thought she wasn't fragrant. She is definitely fragrant here.

She 'fades' to a more yellow color than the oranges and bright peaches, but she's still bright and colorful at that color. In part shade, she keeps the deeper colors better, too, even in the heat. I only moved mine due to a color scheme change in one garden :)

• fragrancenutter
    8 years ago

Dolly Parton is more red than orange in my garden:

Granada is the orange ones in the picture below, it is a Gamble award winner and has a pleasant tea rose fragrance:

Another orange-peachy one for me is Augusta Luise. She has a beautiful sweet fragrance too:

• michaelg
    8 years ago

'Heaven on Earth' is very fragrant for me. The young flowers are a pleasant orange tone which fades out as they age. The plant is floppy but mine has matured nicely. Susceptible to BS.

• cjrosaphile
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Chris Everett looks beautiful. It's on the list. I did try Heaven on Earth. I liked the blooms but it had serious floppitis. I would actually use stakes to lift the canes up so that it would be attractive. After a few years of that, I decided to rehome her.

• John A
    8 years ago

We started a new Anna's Promise this year. I couldn't smell much while it was outside on the plant, but was able to get good fragrance from one that we cut and brought inside.

John A

• jazzmom516 (Zone 6b, MA)
    8 years ago

I was in a local nursery and saw Anna's Promise, there is definitely a fragrance from the rose. I nominate for orange rose and fragrant the floribunda 'Easy Does It'.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    8 years ago

'Lady Emma Hamilton' is quite orange, and quite fragrant.

• Randell The Wolf
    7 years ago

Rene Goscinny looks like a gorgeous fragrant orange florist rose, but it does not appear to be available for gardens. The color is amazing.

• barbarag_happy
    7 years ago

Westerland! I've grown it as a shrub and it needs lots of room. Wonderful fragrance.

• SoFL Rose z10
    7 years ago

ha! i was going to say pat austin, but hoovb is right. if youre tlking about a fragrant orange austin its lady emma 100%

• vasue VA
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Randell, I'd never heard of Rene Goscinny & it does look luscious. Appears only available in Europe. Anyone know a North American source? http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.38347&tab=1

Barbara, another fan of Westerland here. Missed out - sold out - last year on its child Above All. Anyone growing this one? http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.71360&tab=36

SoFl Rose, Lady Emma is temptingly lovely. Do you think she could be grown no spray?

Jazzmom, Easy Does It is a favorite of mine, too. Sue

• titian1 10b Sydney
    7 years ago

I love Westerland, and am thinking of growing it as a shrub. It will get afternoon sun in the position I'm thinking of planting it. Will it burn? Also, barbarag_happy, how much room should I allow?

Trish

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

As much as I love the blooms of Easy Does It, I've had real problems with its lack of vigor since it was cold damaged in 2014. It simply refuses to grow. I wasn't aware its blooms were fragrant. I loved seeing fragrancen's luscious roses, especially Augusta Luise. She has a tremendous scent. Pat, Chris Evert is pretty amazing, as all your roses are.

Cjrosaphile, I loved your photo examples, especially Day Breaker and Good as Gold, both of which I am determined to grow---somewhere (no space). Diane

Augusta Luise--a rose of many colors, but she's no longer available in the US. That may change.

Abbaye de Cluny--I'm not sure about its scent.
    Easy Does It

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

As much as I love the blooms of Easy Does It, I've had real problems with its lack of vigor since it was cold damaged in 2014. It simply refuses to grow. I wasn't aware its blooms were fragrant. I loved seeing fragrancen's luscious roses, especially Augusta Luise. She has a tremendous scent. Pat, Chris Evert is pretty amazing, as all your roses are.

Cjrosaphile, I loved your photo examples, especially Day Breaker and Good as Gold, both of which I am determined to grow---somewhere (no space). Diane

Augusta Luise--a rose of many colors, but she's no longer available in the US. That may change.

Abbaye de Cluny--I'm not sure about its scent.
    Easy Does It

7 years ago

Nana doll, is your Easy Does It grafted or own root? Mine is own root and got to be about 5' high on me this summer. I let it get away from me; I like when it is about 4' high.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Jazzmom, Easy Does It is grafted on Doc Huey. EDI was growing rapidly for two years until it was cold damaged, so I don't think the graft has anything to do with it. It's the only rose of mine to just quit like this. Frankly, I'm baffled. But maybe the graft was damaged, though it doesn't look like it. Your EDI sounds wonderful. Diane

• pat_bamaz7
    7 years ago

Diane, Same thing happened with my Easy Does It. It was one of my better roses until the back to back polar vortex winters. It just hasn't recovered even with last year's mild winter. Will put out lots of new canes in the spring, but then massive die back and lots of blackspot issues that never were a problem before. Before the cold damage, it was a large, full bush of around 5 X 4 with nice foliage and constant blooms. Now it only has a few canes that don't turn black and die off during the season and tops out at around 3 ft. Still a good bloomer, but not a healthy, pretty bush. I'm considering shovel pruning it this year if it doesn't get back to what it once was.

• pat_bamaz7
    7 years ago

My EDI pre polar vortex:

Spring

and by fall of same year

and now this past spring

doesn't look like I even bothered to take a picture of the poor thing later in the season...

• SoFL Rose z10
    7 years ago

EDI is my best performing rose hands down. I just planted a few others that look like they may give it some competition, but so far EDI has to be the best performing rose for South Florida. Mine is grafted on Fortuniana and gets about 5 feet tall and 4 feet wide. Here she is in July in all her glory, but I've never noticed any fragrance.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Wow, what gorgeous photos from both of you. I remember your photo of EDI, Pat, and then thinking if only my EDI would look like that. SoFL, your EDI is wonderful, too. I can see how it would be your best performer. Maybe this rose needs fortuniana rootstock. I wish fortuniana were available here, but I think our area is a little too cold (in normal winters; it's definitely too cold this abnormal winter). Thanks for showing me what this rose should look like. Pat, it's strange that our two EDIs have something similar going on. I'm pretty sure I will put mine out of its misery this spring. Diane

7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Just a thought regarding fragrance -- sometimes roses are more fragrant in morning and less as day goes by. Or just the opposite.

• sharon2079
    7 years ago

Enchanted Autumn is Buck rose. It is very disease free here in S. Florida and one of the few roses that does well on own root instead of fortuiania root stock. It is orange and has a strong fragrance. I highly recommend it.

• C.j. Kammerzell Peets
    7 years ago

So wonderful to have an old thread come back to life. I purchased Easy Does It this past season. It has not been vigorous for me what so ever. Have had only a couple of blooms on it. It is grafted and I'm concerned that I may have lost it during a cold snap here. Sounds like it is cold sensitive. Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions!

• MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1091 feet
    7 years ago

Sedona (HT) is deliciously fragrant to me. Maria Stern is a fragrant orange, Lady Emma Hamilton and Fragrant Cloud are two other greatly scented oranges.

Steven