SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jbruener

Terra Cotta Pots the solution to Moisture in Soil?

Justin
8 years ago

Hello Everyone!

I have been very absent from this community for a long time now, how crazy! It has been since before the transition to Houzz and I am still trying to get used to it. Since my time here, I have purchased 6 topiary Gardenias at Home Depot for $25 dollar each, it was a steal in my opinion! Well, they are growing fine in the soil they came potted in but I know they will have problems moving into the fall and winter months ahead. I got so many because I decided to once and for all do a comparison between soils and the effects it has on gardenia. For my little experiment, I will be placing two gardenias in gritty mix, two gardenias in 5-1-1 and leaving two in the loam based soil I purchased them in. I am at the point, however where I am needing to purchase pots and I had the epiphany that perhaps the reason they have failed for me in gritty mix before is due to the fact that they were in plastic pots. So I am debating whether or not to purchase terra cotta pots for them all. I read that they allow greater rates of gas exchange due to the porous nature of the pot and also that moisture will move through them as well. Do you guys have experience with this? What are your opinions? Suggestions? I am starting a blog on my little project ( and all of my other plants as well) and will include that later once I have the materials I need for the soil! In the time being, enjoy the blossoms I have gotten so far!! I have pictures of Gardenia ( starting to show some signs of chlorosis) my assortment of tropical plants including canna, musa basjoo, ensete, and Osmanthus fragrans. Also I thought you may enjoy the japanese maple we have growing, it is great to see them growing in Minnesota!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals