SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seasaidh_macfhearchair

Hard clay steep slope (with bonus rotting tree stumps) in PNW

Hi all. I live nearish to downtown Seattle My house is on a big hill, and the slope in front of it doesn't belong to me, but I'm responsible for maintaining it (according to municipal code). It took me about a day and a half of calling around to various city departments to gain an understanding of what I'm working with and what the expectations are.

When we bought the property, we learned that there has been slide activity here in the past but that our home was built on a deeply-set layer of bedrock. Okay great, but the house is in what Seattle calls an ECA (environmentally critical area) and that means we need to go about things pretty carefully when we garden.

I didn't know that when I first moved in, though, and so I thought nothing of going out there and chopping up all the bramble and English ivy and exposing the slope for replanting with something less invasive/ugly. Oops. Anyway now I have a bare slope, the earth is dry, hard, cracking, and full of ivy roots. It's also like a 35º slope so working it isn't exactly simple (or safe). I'm sort of painted into a corner, but I don't regret getting rid of that mess; I think we even had a rat living in it.

So anyway, I went and put my ducks in a row and got a plan on file with the city to replant with shrubs and groundcover, and I'm just waiting for the official approval that I've been reassured will come.

The question is what specifically to do once I get it - and I have about 197,543 sub-questions:

After extensive research I've determined that probably the best (reasonably affordable) way to stabilize the slope while things grow back is to use burlap erosion control cloth and landscape staples to pin it down. I have some kinnickinnick shrubs that I'd like to plant - do I just cut holes in the cloth for that? What about using soil conditioner? Can I till the soil or will that just exacerbate the erosion situation and make it impossible to pin the burlap? How do I get the shrubs and ground-cover plants started in the clay? How aggressive should I be about yanking up the remaining (extensive) ivy roots? Drip irrigation seems like a good way to go, yes? Should I add soil to the earth under the blankets? Mulch on top? My questions, they are numerous.

Sorry for the novella - this slope is about 10-12 feet from my front door and I am a bit stressed about what could happen if I don't get it re-vegetated ASAP. I want to say thanks in advance for reading and sharing your thoughts.

Cheers.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor