SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amehrotra

What should I plant in sunny front yard strip near street?

amehrotra
8 years ago

Hello!

I have been struggling with the design for a strip of sunny territory in our front yard right next to the street . I would very much welcome ideas about what to plant there!

A photo of our front yard is below: the site I am talking about is the portion in front of the lower stone wall, where the daffodils are blooming. Some pertinent facts are:

• We are zone 6
  • Site is full sun; faces south-southwest
  • Site measures approximately 8 ft by 45 ft
  • We really won't need to walk on or park on the strip
  • We don't want lawn (we don't have lawn anywhere else on our property and are not excited about maintaining just a smallish strip of it)
  • The slope above will be planted mostly with shrubs (various viburnum, roses, peonies, redtwig dogwood, oakleaf hydrangea, laurel, serviceberry etc.) but also some small trees (sour cherries, dwarf river birch)
  • The tree to the left is a red maple; that is a stand of healthy rhodies (pink) at the right-hand corner of the house; there is a purple smokebush at the right; there are also three blue spruce to the right (not shown in the picture)
  • We don't have a sprinkler system, but I do water by hand intermittently -- it just can't be something that needs constant moisture

Thank you for any ideas you can pass my way!!

Anna

Comments (3)