SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

a few pictures from today....

woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Time is flying by in the garden! We finally got a good dose of rain yesterday and the temperature warmed up a bit. The plants are much happier out there now! I took some pictures out front when we took the dog out for morning walkies. The peonies were just starting to show color/open. By this afternoon the amount of peony color out there had increased substantially! You can hardly see the peonies in this morning view of the front garden:

I'll have to take a picture tomorrow to compare - there's a lot of red out there now.

North is the right-hand side of the picture and we've planted smallish ornamental trees and larger shrubs on that side to supplement the shelter the old cedar provides for the garden. In the last two years the north side has filled in a lot and it's become quite striking (to me at least!) how hidden the front garden has become when approached from the north. - so the front garden is becoming a sort of 'secret garden' :-)

The garden from the north (the camera does annoying things re finding patterns in the shingles on the garage roof!) You can also see that the Japanese wisteria has finished blooming now:

In the backyard, the heavy rain we got has washed a lot of the grass seed off the lawn, I fear! You can see a lot of the top dressing soil on the path on the far side of the lawn.... I will undoubtedly be weeding out lots of grass seedlings down there! Hopefully there's enough seed left on the lawn so we don't have to do it all over again....

Looking out the window at the area to the left of the shed as the sun went down tonight, things are looking very lush, and the beautybush beside the window is nicely in bloom (the yellow in the picture is actually streaks of sunshine!):

Moving back to the front... Looking down the path to the south alley gate, the large lilac is finished blooming now but the dwarf Korean one is still in full bloom. The peony in the picture is open now (the picture is from this morning). There is a Nelly Moser clematis blooming across the path from the dwarf lilac but you can't see it very given the angle of this picture. It grows into a mockorange shrub under the kitchen window.

The path to the south gate runs off the driveway, past the south end of the front porch. The rodgersias in the narrow bed in front of the front porch are almost in bloom now - they are high on my list of favorite plants :-) (You can also see two of the pots of peas on the driveway and the ninebark shrub starting to bloom in the south driveway border - and that I desperately need to weed the edge of the driveway!.)

Summer is definitely bursting out all over here! (and will go by too quick....!) A nursery visit this afternoon has added six heucheras (3 'Magnum' and 3 'Forever Purple) and three dwarf butterfly bushes ('Miss Molly', 'BUZZ Sky Blue' and BUZZ 'Midnight'). There's some planting needed in the next day or two!

Comments (8)