SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
logixsti

Comes back year after year - trailing type flower - Is it a Pentunia?

logixsti
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

this is my 3rd summer in this house, the first year I pulled this thinking it was a weed (i distinctly remember thinking that it looked very different from all the other weeds and the leaves had a sort of fuzz on them)...but having not ever planted in that area i couldn't imagine it being anything else. well, last year I didnt get to weeding as soon as I wanted which lucked out because this thing started growing again and flowering, and growing, and flowering, and growing.

I would imagine that in a hanging basket it would be really pretty.

Last year later in the season I could not find the location of the roots, despite digging in a number of areas. This year I left the area unweeded but I dug in a bunch of places putting in bulbs and such, it escaped my wrath and managed to come back. It reminds me of a petunia of some sort, except there is no way a petunia could survive the last few VERY COLD, ICY, BRUTAL winters we've had, while in this area of the yard in this horrible horrible soil, rocky, sandlike, hard as a rock soil (it looks nice in the picture but just because it's wet. typically its looks almost light tan in color, no nutrients in it at all) no protection at all. Could it? Are there Pentunia varieties I don't know of that are hardy perennials? everything i've looked up says they are annuals

Long Island, NY - Zone 7/border of Zone 6

Anyone?

Comments (4)