SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
savemysucculents

Help, I need a diagnosis for my succulents

savemysucculents
8 years ago

I'm having some issues with my succulents, would really appreciate it if you could help me identify them so I can find solutions.

This guy is very scabby :/ I tried to scrap one off, and the scab came off with part of my leaf, leaving behind a wound. Any idea what these scabs are? (I just got this one, so the cut end is still callousing.)

This second guy is also scabby, but not as many. The scabs seem to be underneath and not on the surface.

This one is perpetually wrinkly :( dehydrated? Doesn't perk up even with daily waterings. It's in my version of gritty mix, equal parts bark, granite and LECA balls (I can't get turface here in Singapore). It is on my balcony, but not exposed to rain.

Wrinkly No.2 is grown in same conditions as Wrinkly No.1, no sign of parasites as well.

This one has brown spots and discoloration on the leaves, but it appears to be beneath the surface since I can't clean it off.

Comments (19)

• savemysucculents
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Scabby No.3 is new, came with Scabby No.1. Same sort of scab?

Last one, my eche developed a black spot that is indented. The darker patch within the patch is a result of my prodding. Sun burn?

Thanks in advance!

• Related Discussions

i need help with my succulent quick!

Q

Comments (2)
    Down to personal choice I think. Maybe support the broken leaf so that the two edges are in very close contact and it 'could' join back together again given time and patience it's got to be worth a go. Maybe a suggestion would be to use a shallower pot that is wider than deep so as not to have the leaves sticking out over the edge of the pot to prevent any further mishaps! Gill UK
    ...See More

I need help finding the species of my succulent.

Q

Comments (2)
    Crassula falcata with red flowers. Yours could have more light: it is stretched a bit. Harry
    ...See More

I need help Identifying my succulents

Q

Comments (2)
    Be careful not to overwater. Make sure they get plenty of light. In the first pic, the soil looks very dark. Is it wet? As for the last one, when you water it, take it out of the outer pot and let it completely drip off dry before putting it back (like an hour or more). Nice plants. Nice Mom!
    ...See More

I need help identifying my succulents

Q

Comments (12)
    Sempervivums are very difficult to ID, there are more than 50 species and thousands cultivars, with many looking very similar. Exact name of the cultivar really doesn't matter that much as far as their needs: they are really same. When plant is not healthy, or grown under not-so-good conditions, they may, and often do, different than they should and that's another problem to ID it correctly. Kirby I don't see you mentioning your general location or growing zone? Sempervivums are very hardy plants, most of them will overwinter outdoors, under the snow, in z4 and many even lower. So unless you are in colder location, they could and should be grown outdoors. Proper pots are much more important than one may think. I would encourage you to repot plants that are in containers that do not have drainage holes. You don't even need to buy pots - plastic containers from cottage cheese or yogurt will work as long as you poke holes in it - a thin nail or straight pin works very well. Many small holes around bottom are great. Use opaque containers, as see-through will encourage growth of algae (more of a aesthetic problem, it will not kill your plants). I hope you do not think that we are preaching to you - all members here are quite enthusiastic about succulents; everyone that posted wanted to offer some helpful tips. We do get carried away - as soon as any of us see a problem, we comment even if you didn't ask about it (potting mix and drainage holes in this case...). It is all meant well and to help - otherwise none of us would waste time on reading and replaying :)
    ...See More
  • savemysucculents
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Bernard!

I really appreciate you taking time out to help me :)

1) Oops, I didn't get it as a stem cutting, but it came in horribly peaty soil and the roots were sad, so I beheaded it and it's now callousing before I repot (which explains why it isn't in a pot). Hm, now that you mention it, the dehydrated looking ones don't have very established roots yet, will give it more time!

2) Yeah, my plants are pretty small. I'm just concerned over how scabby and spotty they are, especially the topsy turvy. I read your post and they are exactly like what you described as "They do require some force to remove, but upon so, there were no signs of reddish liquid, just exposed green flesh of the leaves." So I guess they are fine?

3) Yep most of my plants were grown here, so they should be adapted already. I had a period of no sun, which resulted in unhappy etiolated succulents, but my sun is back! They starting to colour again.

4) Yes, all pots have drainage holes. I managed to get teeny LECA balls, around 1/4" wide, and everything else is around that size as well. Are they too large?

5) The black spot in my last plant seems to be some internal issue. Definitely not loss of the powder coating. Actually in the same photo, you can see that the edges have lost their coating from my fiddly fingers. Could the spot be rot? Or sunburn?

Thanks so much again for the helpful links as well!

-dyllis

• bernardyjh
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi Dyllis,

It's great to see you giving so much care and attention to your plants, but one thing I've learnt about succulents is to fuss less over them, and to ensure you can provide them as much sun as possible (especially your echeverias). I put my Echeverias under grow lights whenever there is overcast in my region, I had to see the plants etiolated as it ruins the beauty of their compact structure.

Once these plants have established roots, along with a comfortable watering routine set up, they will just turn out just fine. It takes abit of time for them to recover, especially if these plants are being rescued from a previously poor growing environment.

As for the Leca Balls, I would still crush them, even if it's 1/4". The optimal range should be within 1/16 - 1/8". What I suggest is, go to a hardware store and buy some hardware cloth, sift your ingredients through it, if they go through the netting then they are of the right size.

If you get a chance to repot, you might want to show us some pictures of your plants roots too. Base on your own judgement, younger seedlings can deal with more water as compared to established mature succulents. I water my seedlings almost daily or twice a day when under lights/full sun.

Also do not underestimate air circulation, if you can provide a small fan or place them in a sunny, and windy environment, you'll see your plants less prone to such diseases. One forum member here grows all his succulents indoors, and he puts a mini fan to replicate the arid conditions - and his plants have been thriving thus far. Succulents love dryness, and your environment is extremely humid which is the complete opposite - so perhaps a windy room might elevate some of your problems off these scabs.

The black spot definitely is not rot, rot only happens when you accumulated water on the plant for a prolonged period of time, ie the crown of Echeverias - that's why most experience growers here would advise against pouring water over the succulents' leaves when watering, because when water accumulated on the center of the plant is an instant kiss of death. It doesn't seem to be sunburnt to me either, if it really is sunburnt marks, you will see dried marks or signs of crispy tips on the leaves and they are usually very distinct. My guess is mechanical damage, accidental touch or objects knowing the plant.

Bernard

• Melissa
    8 years ago

Bernard, I'm pretty sure you meant to say "that's why most experience growers here would advise AGAINST pouring water over the succulents' leaves when watering, because water accumulate on the center of the plant and that is an instant kiss of death." :)

Melissa

• bernardyjh
    8 years ago

Melissa, thanks for spotting! I was speed typing in a hurry. LOL

• andy_e
    8 years ago

I agree with Bernard, don't fuss so much over little things like bumps on the leaves. These are plants, not works of art, so we can't achieve perfection. :-)

Shriveled leaves means underwatering though so for those plants I'd step up the watering schedule. With that mix I don't think it's possible to overwater.

• savemysucculents
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks so much for your replies!

I'm trying my best not to fuss, haha but I had a case of mealies recently so I'm still paranoid. Very glad to find out that the bumps aren't a cause for concern, I was so worried that they might be some sort of parasite or insect eggs.

Will work on reducing the particle size of my gritty mix and will get a little fan as well.

• savemysucculents
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh, I forgot to add that I found this bug when I was watering. Any idea what is it? There were a few of them, and I got paranoid that they might be causing the leaf bumps.

• bernardyjh
    8 years ago

Dyllis, if your succulents were under siege, you'll start seeing nibble marks on your leaves. That's for those that attacks the leaves, the worst are root mealys, you can't even detect them unless you unpot your plants.

I've heard that insects eggs are usually in blotches of white, found in creaks and cracks of your plants (sometimes even under the leaves). and are usually identifiable under the magnifying glass.

For some reason, I can't identify this bug either, so far it has not post any threads to my plants' well-being. Let's just hope it's not harmful.

How did you treat your plants after you discovered the infestation? (Did you use any systemic?) Sometimes eggs are nested in the old soil and they have up to a month life cycle before they hatch. Sad to say, mealy eggs are tougher to get rid than regular mealys.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    8 years ago

If your plants are outside, there are zillions of bugs - and many are actually beneficial (too bad I can't tell which ones!)
    If you have bugs indoors, it is probably too much organic matter in your potting mix/soil. And they prefer moist conditions.
    Rina

• savemysucculents
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Bernard, I didn't use any pesticides for the mealies. I sprayed the leaves and stem with rubbing alcohol, and dunked the roots in alcohol as well. I also rinsed my gritty mix with boiling water before repotting my plants. Do you think it's sufficient?

Rina, my plants are on my balcony, does that count? I'm living on the 12th floor though. I'm actually considering removing reptibark from my gritty mix, that's the only organic material I have and they are in pieces larger than the other components of my mix. Haven't had much luck breaking them down.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    8 years ago

Mealies are tricky to get rid of - what you did may work, but watch really closely just in case. If any were 'left' (and they hide extremely well), there will be re-infestation.
    Bugs will find their way - even to 12th floor. The photo is not good enough to try to ID it. It looks like pill bug - maybe? google it & see if it was like that (they are like miniature armadillos).

You could remove bark from the mix if you want (I use mostly mix of perlite, grit, turface) but many bugs feed on decaying plant matter so you still may see some. Over all, mealy bugs are much worst & dangerous to succulents than these kind of bugs.

Rina

• bernardyjh
    8 years ago

Dyllis, the worse are "hidden guests" aka eggs in the organic components (such as sterilized barks or peat) within your soil, because you can't even see them and your plants don't show signs until those buggers hatch. They are most IMMUNE to pesticides or any deterring agents until they hatch.

So some people go through great lengths to sterilize their soils, boil, heat via oven or microwave, you name it, it's all done before.

Whereas some, like Rina completely remove the organic component of the gritty mixture and only use inorganic materials - ie turface, granite and chicken grits, which makes pests harder to nest their eggs in them. It does not completely eliminate them but it does deter them to a larger extent.

Recently, I've heard another grower, Andy, waters all his plants annually with a pesticide and it's been really effective for him as he grows most of his plants outdoors. Apparently the chemical coats the plants' roots, and they go pest free almost all year round.

At the end of the day, you have to find a method that works most effectively for you. But your ultimate concern is to prevent the infestation from returning, and trust me, it is alot of work, but at least you know you can provide the best environment for your plants to grow.

I'm with Rina, mealy bugs are (and always will be) a plague to the existence of succulents.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    8 years ago

I am not using bark in gritty for one reason - having hard time to find it. So if I do, I save it for plants in big pots - ficus Benjamina, brugmansias, figs, olives...many other plants I have that would do quite well in gritty, but would be very heavy to move indoors for the winter.

We can't (and don't want to!) sterilize environment, and as I said - many bugs are beneficial.

I am sure you get a fly sometimes indoors? - it is a 'bug' after all...and small spiders? Actually, very small % of 'bugs' are really harmful to plants and people - they usually go after bad bugs. And 'clean' up the soil from decaying plants and dead (formerly) living creatures. I really think the bug on your pot is one of those.

The pests like mites, scale, thrips, aphids, whiteflies and so on are 'bad bugs' and so are all kinds of fungal diseases - they needs to be controlled and/or eliminated.

Rina

• bernardyjh
    8 years ago

Rina do you really think this bug is harmless? I was getting worried, as I found almost all of my watering tray with its appearance. So far no one has been able to ID it yet..

• savemysucculents
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Rina, it definitely isn't a pill bug. Unfortunately that's the best photo I can snap of it, they are way too small and move fast too. Like Bernard, I only see them when I water and on the tray, not on the plant itself. I'm convinced we have the same bug.

• bernardyjh
    8 years ago

Dyllis, I'm inclined to believe it's a Springtail bug. I took Rina's cue and google non-harmful bugs and I got this result.

The description and pictures all match - "Many homeowners will notice tiny grey specs in sinks or bathtubs, or outside on patios or in flowerbeds. Many times these pests are mistaken for fleas, especially when people see them jump! If you have seen something similar, you might be seeing springtails around your home." Apparently they eat molds and fungus and thrive in moist environments. The only thing I haven't witnessed is them leaping off instead or scurrying around.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Bernard - yours doesn't look like puill bug, but very unclear.
    save - that's why I said to google, since you have seen it 'up-close'.
    You are right, very difficult to take good photo, those things are very fast.

I was to suggest that it is possibly one of the bugs that live happily in compost...there are billions of them! Bernard is on the right trail, springtails are compost lovers. They love moist conditions - exactly what happens under the pot (in the saucer).

Springtails are soil micro-arthropods

Springtails, or collembola, are primitive hexapods (six-legged arthropods) that are closely related to insects. These small critters (1-6 mm, usually less than 3 mm) live in soil, leaf litter, and other damp organic material. Springtails can be extremely abundant in some damp, highly organic soils. They generally cause no harm to garden plants but may be so abundant that they become a nuisance. Very occasionally they damage tender, young garden plants by feeding on roots.

Springtails may be nearly colorless to white or gray and even yellow, orange, red, or green. The name "springtail" comes from an ability to spring forward, or jump, by releasing an appendage that is normally tucked under the abdomen (right, lower drawing). All stages except the egg are similar in shape.

When springtails are abundant the cause is usually high soil moisture and/or highly organic soils.

In either case simply sweeping them up is the best strategy, no insecticide treatment is needed. Springtails won't breed indoors, except in houseplant soil, and won't cause any harm. Outdoors the "invasion" will stop once the rains cease and soils and leaf litter dry out. Treat houseplant soil by allowing it dry out between watering as well.

springtails/collembola

I have seen silverfish in damp saucer - they are common in moist areas (kit, bathrooms) in apartment building - they travel up & down...yucky, but won't harm you.

Rina