SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heather_meuer

First post- where to begin and floor plan

Heather Meuer
8 years ago

I've been lurking GW for a few weeks now and am simply amazed by the amount of information available and the support you all give to one another. I'm so excited to have found this community!

So if all goes as planned, within 2 weeks we will be closing on 20 acres and begin the road of planning to build our forever home. I've been looking at floor plans and I am completely in love with a (heavily altered?) version of Don Gardner Forrester. It fits the needs for our growing family and into the future. Our current home is similar is square footage but lacks the gathering space we need for entertaining and has unusable space. This floor plan seems to be everything I love it our current home with the things we've been lacking. I'd love to get feedback on what you all think and any advice you have on where to go from here.

Here are the things I changed:
1. removed the bedroom nook
2. closed off the bedroom wall from the entry foyer. this will be our girls' bedroom until the next little one comes along, and then they will be moved downstairs,which leads me to...
3. eliminated the upper floor, we will have a walkout basement with at least 2 bedrooms, 1 full bath and a family room/playroom. To be designed eventually, haha!
4. moved the garage forward so that a window can be put on the left kitchen wall, and moved sink under window.
5. extended kitchen nook area to include a banquette. I would build a house around this banquette if I had to, I WILL have a banquette :) We currently have barstools in our kitchen which we use for out kids but they aren't exactly toddler/kid friendly. I dream of a banquette. It will be mine, oh yes, It will be mine.

I will obviously need a professional when the time comes. Do I need an architect? Residential designer?

original floor plan found here

Comments (12)