SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donna_loomis

It Could Have Been So Much Worse (for my pocketbook)

donna_loomis
8 years ago

A couple of weeks ago, DH (who does most of the cooking) told me that he thought the wall oven was not heating like it should. A few days later, he asked me to bake cookies and I had forgotten about his comment. Turns out the baking element was what wasn't working. I ended up broiling the cookies, LOL. We thought back to when the oven was first placed. It is the house I grew up in and I know it isn't the original oven. But I know Mom replaced it before DH and I got married. That puts it at at LEAST 22 years old and more likely about 25-27.

Our chore for this weekend was to see about purchasing a new wall oven. I looked online and was flabbergasted at the cost of a new electric wall oven. Low of $650 to well over $2,000! To make matters worse, the smallest width oven I found was 24 inches, while the place to put the oven measures 23 and 3 fourths inches on the OUTSIDE of the cupboard. It's not along a bank of cupboards, but is an outcropping with a cupboard below and a cupboard above the oven, so there is no way a 24 inch oven is going to fit. And there is no other place to put an oven. It's a very small kitchen. I knew there must be an oven out there that would fit, I just didn't know the logistics of it.

We were going to head to an appliance store this past weekend and try to figure out how to find a replacement, but at the last minute I decided to see if I could still buy a replacement bake element for this very old oven. I was amazed that I found I could! Including shipping, it would only cost about $31. We still went to the appliance store to see if there was any chance they had one in stock. I knew that if they did, I'd probably pay more, but I would have it immediately, rather than waiting for shipping, and we use our oven a lot.

They had only one and wanted $45 for it. I said, "Sold!" DH put it in and we're baking again. I know that this is only a stop-gap. Given it's age, it's only a matter of time before it really dies. And then we'll have to try and figure out that size thing all over again.

Comments (21)