SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oklamoni

grandpa on my mother's side

OklaMoni
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

It shows from all the old pictures I have seen, that my grandpa (Opa) and my grandma (Omi) were deeply in love. They had 7 kids, but only 4 survived. All are still living. My mother is the oldest, and uncle Seppel is next. Both still live in Germany. The next two, uncle Klaus, and aunt Elke live in Australia. Klaus went there, right after the war when Germany was pretty well destroyed in our area. He wrote such great post cards to his sister, that her and her new husband went there too.

But, back to Opa.

He owned a winery, and had property at the (back then) edge of town, where the Bienenhaus (bee keepers hut) and the chicken coop were located. He walked there every morning to let the chickens out, and evening to lock them up.

Opa lost a thumb, when a wine barrel dropped on it. Story has it, he wrapped it up with a rag, and continued his work till he was done, and by then all they could do was amputate.

He caught his best customer with Omi, and tossed the guy naked out the window (don't worry, it was ground floor). Then after the divorce he re-married, and had three sons with "mama" which is what we called his second wife. My mothers half brothers were not that much older than me, the youngest only one year older. We heard her be called mama, and we (5 kids total) called her the same.

Opa wasn't the best advice giver, as he would tell my mother to go back to her husband and kids, when she ran there after my dad beat her up.

He wasn't the gentlest person at all. I know, my "uncles" would be beaten with a belt quite often. (we never formally called them uncles, they were to close to our age, and later, when the oldest wanted to be called uncle, I offered to do so, when the past birthday and Christmas presents would be delivered)

If we kids played in the courtyard during his nap time, we had to keep quiet, or he would bellow out the window QUIET! A second warning was a shoe flying out. At this point we scrambled out of the area.

Grandpa was still alive, when I left Germany in 1972, but I never saw him again.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH