SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maddidupreez

Advice re salvaging ceramic tile that was laid over vinyl flooring

maddidupreez
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi all! First time I am posting in this section of GW/Houzz though am a long time user of the garden forums.

We recently moved into our house built in 2006 that is generally in good repair but is in need of updating from builder's grade finishes and some rather odd (and sometimes ridiculous) home remodeling that the previous owners did themselves.

One such update being the tiling done on the main floor that runs from the front entryway, down a passage and into the kitchen and eat-in section. These ceramic tiles were cemented straight onto the existing builder's grade sheet vinyl flooring and needless to say are shattering underfoot in places along with failing grout that is breaking away in chunks. (The remainder of the flooring on the first floor is laminate wood that was also installed very badly which will also be taken out and replaced.)

I would like to salvage the unbroken tiles for two reasons: 1) they cover such a large footprint within the house and 2) they are good looking tiles. Once salvaged I would like to have them installed in the basement laundry area which is just bare concrete at the moment.

Please can you advise if this is a job best left to professionals or if it is something I am able to do myself.

Edited to add that I am not without home improvement skills, just not a professional!

Comment (1)