SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vanessasvanity

Lesson learned with paint colors... Get samples first :/

vanessasvanity
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

So, we just purchased a 2003 double wide manufactured home that really was in OK shape, but I had a vision for it. We ripped out the carpet, bought new laminate wood flooring, and I thought I would go ahead and paint "real quick" before the flooring got installed........... Ha ha. First things first.. I have vinyl wallboards so I had to do my research on how to paint them (which if anyone's wondering, I used zinsser 123 and a latex paint over it). Next ordeal was weather or not to remove the batten strips. I decided to save myself the trouble of tape and mud and leave the ugly boogers up. Now the fun part!? Hop in the car, go to lowes and get a 5 gallon bucket of neutral paint! Sounds easy right? Wrong. I chose a color called milk toast on the first go, which looked like a soft tan in the store. Got home, slapped it on 3 walls and it was a salmon pink best described as silly putty. $100 wasted. Went back to lowes, chose a color called warm buff, got it on the walls and it looked like baby poop. Too warm and green yellow based (now remembering the main house has to be same color and that countertops are a cooler brown and yellow green would have clashed). Dang it! Now what? I finally get smart, go to a local hardware store and buy a sample of "puppy love". Put it on one wall and LOVE IT. Not too cool, not too warm. Lesson learned. Always get the SAMPLES FIRST even though they're not free. Would have saved me $200.

I don't know why it's flipped.... But the pinker color (bottom) is the FIRST mistake (milk toast), which doesn't look pink here but trust me lol.....and the poo color is (warm buff)

The winner (third times a charm) valspar "puppy love".

Paint color (puppy love), my flooring, countertops.

What do you guys think? Hopefully they mesh well

Main lesson learned: get samples and paint them on the actual wall FIRST, let dry, and look at it in different lighting as lights change paint color.

Also, no neutrals are created equal. If you stare at a color long enough you'll find something about it you don't like. All colors are going to have undertones, some more prominent than others . Oh, and don't forget you have cabinets, floors, and countertops you have to consider ;)

Comments (4)