SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisadimatteo

Cross posting after failure to identify in the WEED section...help!

lisadimatteo
8 years ago

1,000 Thank you's to anyone who can help here. I posted yesterday in the WEEDS section assuming this species is a weed but...

It showed up in my yard (in a mixed sun shade area along the fence line) a few years ago and unmonitored after a couple of months it grew to be very tall (6-7 foot). It seems to NOT want to be bothered since it's woody stalk is covered in thorns that REALLY hurt!

I let it be season 1 but toward the end of the season I cut it down and did my best to chase the roots and pop ups nearby. In the past 2 years I have tried to cut each of the off shoots. It's root base is strong and woody (some areas where it's knotty) and I've tried to cut all the places where the evidence of it pops up (up to 6 feet from original stalk).

This year it's really persistent. The whole area around it has also gone very weedy with all sorts of other weeds. AND the bushes in the area seem to be struggling - wiry and curly leaves...but this could be unrelated.

Based on the pics, does anyone have any idea what this is and what I should be doing to treat it, eradicate it?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting