SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mistaken88

shannoninalaska

mistaken88
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

i had a blue jay hanging out, stealing food in the dog dish earlier today it was humorous watching the dog chasing it away from its dish. Later on he was flying around the black spruce patch across the street, suddenly two robins were freaking out, chasing him furiosly, he disappeared into the grove but robins were still freaking so I walked across the street, through the ditch & out he flew. The robins nest was just halfway up the tree so I peeked in. The Jay had destroyed one egg, the other three seemed fine. I removed the broken egg, put it on the ground & covered it with moss. I guess my question is shoulld I let nature take its course, since reading this & other sites, sounds like the jay will surely be back. I found an old stovepipe cover that could be wired, gently, on top of the nest. The robins could easily get in & out but very difficult for the jay to get in, or just leave it alone, pretty sure I'll hear about rules & regs, just wondering more about the interference & if they'd abandon the nest. Thanks

Comments (3)

• mistaken88
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Oh yeah, I removed the dog food & will keep it inside here on out, not that fun!*

Just looked it up & it's actually a magpie, not a blue jay. :-)

• surya55_gw
    8 years ago

Thx for caring so much; I'm afraid the robins might abandon the nest if you put the cover on it. I hope an expert stops by with more. In NY here where I live, the jays are terrible to the robins and all other song birds' nests.

mistaken88 thanked surya55_gw
  • mistaken88
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you, after much thought that as well, I checked the nest 2days ago, I can make out 2 chicks hatched & were sound asleep, hardly any feathers yet, the magpie is still hanging out, hope they make it! I will keep you posted, thanks again!:-)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor