SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wtdedula0

Newbie needs thoughts on using landscape design to control weeds

William Dedula
8 years ago

Hello All;

I am not really into gardening but I have about a 3-foot width patch of soil on the front and side of my house that currently have weeds growing and I would like to eliminate them WITHOUT the usage of chemicals. I see how beautifully landscaped various establishments around my home are (restaurants, businesses, etc ...) and would love to reproduce this. I want to use a heavy duty landscape fabric which I cover with stones. I pretty much understand the technique but I have a few questions and are looking for any tips you can offer

1. Refer to the first picture below ...

This is my first area I want to landscape and I believe it will be the easiest because I just want to eliminate the weeds by pulling the weeds and then removing soil down to about 3 inches in depth and then laying heavy duty landscape fabric and filling with stones up to the level of the concrete. Is this the right technique or should I do anything differently ?

2. Refer to the second picture below ...

I want to do the same thing and have the same look as the area above only here, I have two plants that grow year after year and am confused how to handle these. Because I want the stones to come up to the level of the concrete, I assume I have to remove soil to a depth of 3" or so also, right ? How should I remove the soil next to the plants ?

And finally, refer to the photo below for my last area ...

This third area same look as the other two but need to go around these bushes with the landscape fabric/stones up to the level of the grass. I assume I need to remove soil down to a depth of 3" and then cover with stone. Any thoughts on the best way to dig, and apply landscape fabric next to the bushes ?

Finally, I'll just let you know that I purchased Commercial Landscape Fabric from Landmaster from Home Depot. I wanted to get what I thought was a better grade of landscape fabric so I paid about $45 for 4-ft. by 50-ft after I read horror stories from people who bought cheap fabric.

Thank you very much for any suggestions/tips you can provide this newbie.

Tim

Comments (6)