SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
logixsti

pulling tubers/bulbs in fall - techniques? tricks? devices?

logixsti
8 years ago

so I am experimenting this year with putting a mesh material (like a screen door mesh-but with bigger holes) and digging it into the ground well under where the tuber/bulb roots will reach too...filling with dirt...adding tuber/bulb...then hoping I strengthened and attached it well enough to something sturdy (also in the ground) that it wont rot or just pull apart when I pull at it.. hoping to make it easier to pull them all in the fall without having to dig each one on it's own.

I guess I'm hoping that with a little removal of "extra weight soil" on tops and sides I might be able to make the process slightly easier and not lose or damage any offspring tubers/bulblets/corms/etc...and also give myself time to pull them all quicker, then go back and actually sort through them, separate, winter package and such once all the containers are inside.

I can't imagine there is not SOMETHING on the market for this..but if there is a I cant find it. anyone? or anyone try something like this and fail? or succeed? what do you guys do?

I spent WAY too long last fall gingerly digging around plants being pulled to ensure no "tragic losses" of little ones..haha!

There MUST be a better way!?

I've heard yes and no on gladiolas and dahlias making it through long island winters in the ground. I've marked a few specifically to stay in ground..just to see. I do have quite a few gladiolas that I missed during my harvest and they ended up inground overwinter (last year was their first year at this house) with no mulch or covering/protection other than the soil they were in and some are coming up..with more each day...to my surprise as Long Island, NY has had quite a few cold winters..last year being a doozy. (anyone else leave either of these in? btw?)

ok. devices, tricks, etc...dying to know! Thanks!

Comments (5)