SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neiljcard

Plants Labeled Incorrectly

8 years ago

Please let me know your thoughts on this post. Thanks.

First of all when this happened to me, I felt like I was on hidden camera. I usually hit 3, 4 or more nurseries on the weekend; sometimes more. This is not unusal for me because I am an admitted insane succulent fanatic.

My first stop was at Lowes and of course I browsed at their puny succulent display. They had a plant labeled as “Pachyveria Blue Haze.” I never heard of the “blue haze” type before. I collect Pachyphytum when I find them so I was quite intrigued by the “new find.” Upon closer examination it looked exactly like the plants I had at home. My plant at home was labeled “Pachyphytum Blue Haze,” not a Pachyveria.

Browsed some more and found another plant labeled “Pachyphytum Compactum.” I bought it because I didn’t have that in my collection. When I got home I researched it and the plant they sold me looked nothing like the pictures on the Crassulaecae Network. Their pictures looked exactly like another plant they were selling as “Pachyveria Little Jewel.”

More browsing and confusion- they were selling yet another plant labeled “Pachyphytum Oviferum Moonstones.” This was not the end of it. On another tray was that same plant with a completely different label; “Pachyphytum Amethystinum.”

I bought one of each anyway to add to my collection. To shorten this up, I went to Home Depot’s nursery and they had a similar mis-labeling going on, except in reverse!

My final stop was at my local, trusted, “real” nursery. Their plants were also mis-labled. That really distressed me as I like to catalogue my plants and photograph them (yes, dorky I know but I enjoy it).

My research showed that there is no such plant as a “Pachyphytum Amethystinum. It is really a “Graptopetalum Amethystinum.” There is a Pachyphytum plant that does closely resemble it but, it’s name is “Pachyphytum Stalensis.”

There is no such thing as a plant called “Pachyphytum Blue Haze” nor a plant called “Pachyveria Blue Haze” It is simply a “Pachyphytum Oviferum,” whose popular names are “moonstones,” or the “sugar almond” plant.

The “Pachyveria Little Jewel” they sell is really a “Pachyphytum Compactum.

If anyone spots any errors with my research please let me know.

So, I have finally sorted out my collection! I have 5 REAL Pachyphytum Oviferum, 4 REAL Graptopetalum Amethystinum, and 4 REAL Pachyphytum Bracteosum. The only plants I have not identified properly are the ones labled “Pachyphytum Compactum,” which they are not. I know it is a Pachyphytum but, which variety I haven’t a clue.

When I addressed this issue with the real nursery, I was surprised and astounded at how dismissive they were about the wrong names attached to these plants. I was politely told that “the important thing is if you like a plant you see, that’s the one to buy.” I’ve spent a lot of money in that nursery and recommend it to others all the time. Am I totally nuts for feeling deceived and also betrayed?

Thanks for listening and apologies for venting : ) - Neil

Comments (38)

• 8 years ago

It is frustrating when plants are mislabeled and even more so when the sellers couldn't care less! I bought a succulent recently at either Lowe's or Home Depot and it was only labeled:. Succulent. Now that's lazy labeling!

Neil thanked sowngrow (8a)
  • 8 years ago

No, you are right, and I sympathise totally. At least you have identified most of them now. And finding the other name might be fun. If a seller sold a plant under the wrong name, and that name was of an extremely rare plant, wouldn't that be fraudulent? At the very least, it's lazy, and uncaring of their customers.

Neil thanked marguerite_gw Zone 9a
  • Related Discussions

planted biodegradable pots incorrectly

Q

Comments (14)
    I hate those things... Roots grow too fast and most people's soils cannot break the pots down properly or quickly enough. I also hate the "cut the bottom off" suggestion many companies/growers use because it hinders lateral growth of roots forcing more roots deeper past soil that contains some of the most nutrient rich parts of the soil. I always cut the plants out of those pots with scissors and throw the pots on the compost pile. This post was edited by nc-crn on Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 16:41
    ...See More

HELP ! Repotted Dracaena Marginata plant (incorrectly I think)

Q

Comments (4)
    I'm sure it will be fine, I've done the same thing with some of my plants and they survived. There are some plants that you cant disturb the root ball but this is not one of them.. Others will come along and give you more advice :>) Christine
    ...See More

Planted my lilacs incorrectly

Q

Comments (5)
    Sorry for the late reply, I never received email notification that someone had responded to my thread. I have two lilacs that I planted in this way and they're in pretty much full sun all day. There's some larger trees in the area which shade them a for an hour or two out of the day. I don't know if they're dwarf lilacs or not. The cultivars are: President Lincoln Lilac - to 10' tall Katherine Havemeyer Lilac - to 12' tall Actually last fall was their second fall. And I haven't pruned them yet. I didn't add any fertilizer at planting or anytime after. I read where lilacs really don't need fertilizer? They actually look good, nice lush green foliage. I guess I'm just worried that improper planting might stunt them or cause them to never bloom? A couple of pics: [IMG]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/jagermeister5/June%202011/P6242968.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/jagermeister5/June%202011/P6242969.jpg[/IMG] Thanks again for your help.
    ...See More

I've noticed that the plants in my neighborhood are all the same

Q

Comments (102)
    So many good answers already. I'll just second one of the earliest replies that pointed out the diversity in yards is much much greater than what we have in our native habitat. I spend a fair amount of time in some mountain locations here. 4 species of trees for miles around: two oaks, a fir and a cedar. My little HOA, which I walk extensively with my dog, has that beat with its coral, carrotwood, ficus benjamina, rubber tree, brush cherry, juniper, podocarpus (several species), silk floss, queen palm, pepper tree (two species), canary island palm, fan palms, hong kong orchid, trumpet tree (brugmansia?), jacaranda, eucalyptus (2 or 3 species), bottle brush, bradford pear, sycamore, liquid amber, 3 or 4 different pines, bronze loquat, catalina cherry and a couple I haven't ID'd. And that's just the front yards in a fairly boring area. I love driving around older neighborhoods where there's been time for the owners to replace things and you see twice or three times the tree species and a lot more fruit trees. Its also worth pointing out that some of the common landscape plants have some decent grafting potential: hawthorn, pear, bronze loquat.
    ...See More
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Neil, I'm totally on the same page here. This is why I think for the whole ny region, all big box stores and most nurseries just labelled their c&s as assorted varieties, that way consumers can't dispute over "buying a wrong plant".

What's even more infuriating is that sellers on ebay tend to list names of rarer plants and sell them at a higher price as Marguerite had mentioned. I was victim on one of my earlier purchases, where they listed it as a graptopetalum superbum as a Pachyphytum Oviferum Moonstones. I was so upset when I paid for something that isn't right, and when I stumble upon their ebay store again recently, I will do a thorough search and realize almost half of their plants were all named wrongly! The last straw was they used the exact same reasoning as what your seller did, "We put disclosure stating that we name the plants to the best of our knowledge, what is most important is that you like what you see." Needless to say, I gave them a negative review immediately.

Neil thanked bernardyjh
  • 8 years ago

Neil
    You have done some detective work.

I have just few here with following labels:
    1. pachyveria glauca Little Jewel
    2. graptopetalum (pentandrum subsp.) superbum

3. pachyphytum oviferum

Could you post photos (hopefuly numbered) of your plants with appropriate names?

Thnx. Rina

Neil thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • 8 years ago

It's definitely irritating but I've gotten used to it. To be fair, the bigger nurseries and big box stores are catering to the 99% of customers who don't give a crap what it really is. Taking extra time to get the names correct is just extra cost that won't get them any extra sales. As you demonstrated, the few of us that really care can do the research to figure it out.

Side note on naming, the convention for writing botanical names is to capitalize the genus but not the species, and put cultivar names in single quotes, along the lines of:

Echeveria agavoides 'Red Edge'

Neil thanked andy_e
  • 8 years ago

Quite a few of those labels are wrong on the multitude of succulents sold at BB stores around here like WM, Lowes, and HD, I've noticed. That's why I seldom log my new plants in with the label on them. I try to look them up and ask people with more knowledge than I have to correct or confirm. The only labels I semi-trusted were the ones I got at the cactus/succulent club show (there, it's sort of peer-vetted, where if your tag is wrong, it's pretty embarrassing and someone more experienced would not be shy about letting you know). At my favorite, independent nursery (thank goodness they still exist!), sometimes there is no label at all, but when I ask, the staff really steps up with all their resources (expensive ID books the size of old-fashioned phone books!) and helps me find a name (my last plant, a Echinofossulocactus multicostatus, they were spot on) . Not everyone is so interested in proper names so I can see why they don't label everything, but I am a total plant nerd, too, and log in every single one, tracking its adoption date, repot dates, and yearly status report (even death date or given as gift date).

Neil thanked stonetreehouse
  • 8 years ago

"but I am a total plant nerd, too, and log in every single one, tracking its adoption date, repot dates, and yearly status report (even death date or given as gift date)."

I do the same thing except for yearly status report. I note it all on the plant tag. :-)

Neil thanked andy_e
  • 8 years ago

Rina- Thanks I am working on the pictures right now. A lot more work than what I thought! lol

• 8 years ago

Personally, this doesn't bother me at all, haha. As long as I know generally what the plant in question is supposed to look like so I can make sure nothing's wrong with it, I'm set!

Neil thanked k8 (7b, NJ)
  • 8 years ago

Rina- Here is one pic of the new plants. I believe most to be labeled incorrectly. The ones I suspect are correct are the Pachyphytum Bracteosum and the Pachyveria Powder Puff "Exotica." These were purchased at Lowes about a week ago marked down to $1.00 each. I'm hoping they'll look a lot better in a couple of weeks or so.

• 8 years ago

Neil
    Thank you for the photo.
    Few of my plants (name as per labels):
    xPachyveria Exotica
    (Laurent pointed to correct name for this plant: xPachyveria 'Powder Puff' - post on May 31)

Pachyveria glauca Little Jewel - is it pachyphytum compactum?

Pachyphytum oviferum:

Rina

• 8 years ago

hm...what they are I cannot tell you, but..

I don't think those names are correct.

There is no x Pachyveria exotica

and yes: could be compactum, but is to skinny.

Here's a place to look:

http://www.crassulaceae.ch/de/artikel?akID=147&aaID=2

greets

harry

Neil thanked hablu
  • 8 years ago

Well, welcome to the real world of succulents and nurseries… I can't even begin to count the number of times I have seen plants mislabeled at nurseries, even specialty ones that should probably know better… I am almost amazed now when I see succulents and cacti actually labeled correctly at a large garden outlet nursery- I have long since learned to mostly ignore the labels on succulents and cacti at these larger nurseries and just collect what looks good and find out later what it really is, since so often it is not what it was labeled to be. Unfortunately that often leads to collecting a lot of plants that never get a final diagnosis of what they are, but that is also true with collecting other oddball plants such as palms and other unusual tropicals…. yet despite my wariness and experience, I still fall for misidentified plants fairly regularly.

Neil thanked palmbob
  • 8 years ago

Harry
    Thank you; here is the plant in flower (I don't have better photo of blooms):

The site you linked has xPachyveria & if I understand correctly, 2 species.
    And p.compactum has really 'chubby' leaves - mine was never like that.
    Rina

• 8 years ago

Rina/Neil - This resource might help you too, it says most pachyverias are new hybrids and have not received any formal names yet. So are Pachyphytums, I think for now, most people kept the name of the plant as Pachyveria glauca Little Jewel.

- Bernard

• 8 years ago

Bernard, Rina and everyone who responded- A big thanks. Bernard, I checked out the link, they have some fantastic pictures. The pachyveria little jewel looks exactly like the plant on the page that has it named a Pachyphytum Compactum. And, my plant I bought last week labeled a Pachyphytum Compactum looks nothing like those two.

• 8 years ago

Rina - First of all, that pic you posted for harry ..that bluish color is awesome!

Ok..now the pics you were showing me..your pachyveria Exotica, that is it's proper name.

The pachyveria Glauca (Little Jewel) I believe it is really a pachyphytum compactum (I could be mistaken). But, every reputable website I have researched it on describes the pachyphytum compactum as having a "chiseled," "jewel-like" appearance. The plant I bought last week was sold as Pachyphytum Compactum and it looks nothing like yours or on other websites. I suspect what I bought is a Pachyphytum, but not a compactum.

I've seen many of the Pachyveria Glauca Little Jewel plants (that's what the labels say) and you notice immediately the "chiseled" appearance of these plants, from the smallest to the largest ones I've seen, they all have that "Little Jewel" look.

The third plant you have as the Pachyphytum Oviferum, looks exactly like mine. Except, that I have learned if it's showing a more of a pinkish/lavender tone it is most likely a Graptopetalum Amethystinum. The Oviferum is not pinkish, it is bluish with the white coating (the farina) giving it that "moonglow-like appearance. That's why the popular names for it are "Moonstones," or the Sugar Almond Plant.

I have about 4 separate clumps of this plant. Some were labeled "Pachyphytum Amethystinum which is incorrect because no such plant extists. (according to experts, not me) The true name is: Graptopetalum Amethystinum.

The two others were labeled "Oviferum," which is also incorrect. The bluish powerdy white plant is the oviferum. The pinkish one is the Graptopetalum Amethystinum which, I highly suspect is what you and I both have.

I want to address some of the comments that were made by others on the forum about this. Some of my fellow forum members as well as my friends and family members share this attitude: "if you like the plant, it shouldn't matter what it's name is."

My brother and his wife suggested that I ask the plant what its name is and that it would know. They thought my frustration about this was hysterical. They could not understand why this was such a big deal for me. But, that's ok, they're not "plant people." They will now be scratched off any Holiday gift lists I keep...forever (lol)

My brother is into cars though, so when I suggested how he might feel about his car emblem being swapped out for another one, he didn't like the thought of that so much. He started to understand, finally.

While it's true I would still love my plant no matter what it's called. There are other, practical situations where having the correct name is very important.

There are others in the forum who, like me, enjoy keeping a journal of the plants they have. If you don't have the correct names it makes it impossible to have an accurate journal. Still not a big deal? Here's another situation:

Imagine this: You see a plant you love. You've gotta have one. It's a bit pricey. (sound familiar?) You get an idea! You'll buy one online. It just may be cheaper. The package arrives..the excitement builds...you open the box and its not the plant you wanted. Now what?? You may like the plant and decide to keep it or you can go through the hassle of returning it and hopefully getting a refund. Bernard already mentioned to us that this has happened to him with Ebay so, I'm sure its happened to many others too. Now, its starting to be a bigger deal, especially when money is involved. We haven't even mentioned the fact of how disappointed someone would be.

Imagine this: Your sweetheart, mom, someone you care about loves roses. Its a special occasion and you show up with daisies. Well, the label said it was roses! The person receiving the gift of course would be grateful yet still, it's not the roses they would have liked. Had you known better, you would not have spent your money on something that was misrepresented.

There are many events that use floral arrangements as part of a theme or décor. Imagine buying the wrong plants because the labels were wrong! People would be talking about it forever. Especially, if a wedding had Pachypodiums as centerpieces! You, Me, Bernard, David, and others on this forum would probably love that because we love succulents! I don't think most people though, would decorate with cactus for a wedding. <g> Youv'e just spent a lot of money on plants that you didn't want and the day of the event is upon you. If only you knew better and the person selling knew better, you could have purchased the plants for the event without issue.

Plants and floral arrangements for some events can cause thousands of dollars. Would that be a big enough deal then, to have plants labeled correctly?

And, i'm not saying it's done deliberately. It's just a simple case of not knowing the correct information. In my case the misidentification was not a costly one, just a disappointed one. Now if someone comes over and asks me what my plants are I can say "I don't know, if you don't like it, don't look at it!" (LOL)

I've managed inventory for many businesses. I would never put NIKE products in a box that said "New Balance," simply because they're both shoes. Imagine a kid you bought a pair of NIKE's for opened that box to see a pair of "New Balance!" Would that be a big deal then? I bet you it would.

I know this was rather long-winded. Thank you Rina, Bernard, David and everyone else on the forum for "listening."

Neil

• 8 years ago

Neil
    You are very thorough in your research, and thank you for sharing your findings.
    I am totally confused...look at few photos of the same (100% sure it is same) plant-
    here it is when received (it was mailed to me, so spent few days in dark box):

Same plant year later - different color, spent few months outside:

Those 2 babies of the same plant grown from fallen leaves (bluish above), in April 2015:

Baby growing from big & fat & cracked leave (it's all green above) - about 6weeks later is still green - other 2 are very colorful. Same pot, same soil, same watering, same light:

So, the same plant has bluish and pinkish leaves.

Since the leaves fall of with slightest touch, I leave them to root, and many do. Here are some other babies that grew from these leaves + a photo of one of them more recently (lower left in group photo, circled in red, is the same plant):

So the color changes depending on amount of sun, but there are also 2 differently colored leaves on the same plant. There is some farina on the leaves (marks left where leaves were touched).

File I have this plant under is named Pachyphytum oviferum - confirm ID? So you can see how confusing it is to me.

Rina

• 8 years ago

Here is copy from thread by aztcqn I copied: this thread showing couple of his plants:

One of my favorite succulents - a pachyphytum with violet tones. Might be pachyphytum opalina. I need this to branch, already!

I've found an excellent specimen of pachyphytum amethystinum! Exactly
    what I was looking for, pale almost white with a strong blush in the
    center!

And another thread on same subject from 2014:
    more confusion

• 8 years ago

Rina- Believe me, I understand. My Pachyphytum Oviferum (powdery bluish) and Graptopetalum Amethystinum (powdery Pinkish) are grown in full sun so, the coloration is very distinct. That's how I tell them apart really. But now, after seeing your pictures...I think I'm back to a state of confusion again.

Yours seem to have bluish and pinkish tones on the same plant! I would really love to get to the bottom of this. Next Saturday, the 6th of June, is the Cactus & Succulents Society's Show & sale here in San Diego. I am going to hunt down every expert I can find there and see what they have to say about this. I will demand the truth! I will report my findings to you and the forum after the show. Wish me luck! Hopefully, they won't have me thrown out <g>

• 8 years ago

Rina - those last 2 pictures are beautiful plants. I am so drawn to these species or what I think they are <g>

Here is what I am confident in:

The Pachyphytum Opalina is false. Real Name: Graptoveria Opalina, a cross between a graptopetalum and echeveria.

Pachyphytum Amethystinum is false. Real Name: Graptopetalum Amethystinum. It's not crossed with anything.

But, again, this is from research I've done. I am by no means an expert in any field lol. If anyone can shed more light on this, please do!

• 8 years ago

My 50cnts.

Most people are led (or is leading the word?) by form and color and that can be very misleading and confusing. Some pictures of plants that have the right name.

This is oviferum. It was at outside and cold since march this year.

The same pot a few years ago in hot summer.

Next one a pot with oviferum now. I mixed three plants. Look at the colordifferences

Even the flowers can be misleading: this is oviferum, but many times the color is softer.

First the hard red.

now the softer color - this was on the same clone, but some years earlier.

And there is a x Pachyveria 'Captain Jessup' (a cross between P. oviferum and P. viride) that has the same flowers and even the plants looks sometimes at oviferum

The next picture is 'Captain Jessup'. The frontplants are oviferum, but the rose leftbackplant is jessup.) The color on the rightone has everything)

Harry

ps. G. amethystinum is very hard to get here and seldom seen. Maybe in your country easier to find??

Neil thanked hablu
  • 8 years ago

Harry
    Good photos. Some look almost brown.
    My plant never flowered, but as you said even flowers could differ slightly.
    Looks like cooler temps will make it turn more pinkish-purple.
    I'll keep my plant outside & see if there is any significant color change. It overwintered indoors in temps 8-10C.
    Rina

• 8 years ago

Neil

from your original post:

...There is no such thing as a plant called “Pachyphytum Blue Haze” nor a
    plant called “Pachyveria Blue Haze” It is simply a “Pachyphytum
    Oviferum,” whose popular names are “moonstones,” or the “sugar almond”
    plant...

And then I find this:

click here

Pachyphytum 'Blue Haze' is a hardy succulent which reaches 30 cm. The pale leaves are very fat. They can turn pink in winter. this succulent has a flowering stem filled with pink bells. (Origine: Pachyphytum bracteosum x Pachyphytum glutinicaule)

...and here

Pachyphytum hybrids.

Some hybrids are popular today. X Pachyveria ‘Elaine’ was ISI-876 in 1974. See photo of it on p. 235 of CSSA of Sept. 1990. Another one is ‘Blue Haze’. Prof. Uhl made and favours his hybrid of fittkaui x compactum. Still another is x Pachyveria ‘Haagei’ that was widely sold in the mid 1990s. Flowers of the hybrids often look much like Pachyphytum species blooms.

Needlessto say, my confusion continues...Rina

• 8 years ago

Rina, Pachyveria 'Exotica' is a (non-valid) name for xPachyveria 'Powder Puff' (a U.S hybrid Pachyphytum oviferum x Echeveria cante created in the 70's).

• 8 years ago

Laurent

Hope I understand you correctly:

(xPachyveria Exotica - non valid name)

= valid name is xPachyveria 'Powder Puff' for this plant:

I did notice photo & name on this site: here

Thank you. Rina

• 8 years ago

Sorry,
    Valid = xPachyveria 'Powder Puff'
    Not valid = xPachyveria 'Exotica'
    Not valid = xPachyveria ‘Kobayashi’

• 8 years ago

Laurent, Mine had the label xPachyveria "powder puff" (Exotica). they still have them at home depot with that label.

• 8 years ago

Neil
    mine was originally labeled xPachyveria 'Exotica'.
    Rina

• 8 years ago

Rina- it's gotta be the same plant we both have. its just so exasperating. my friends have all suggested I "get a life." This is my life! lol

• 8 years ago

Laurent

I already corrected name on mine after your post (and being able to read about it).

Thank you for posting the link, variegated one is beautiful.

Rina

• 8 years ago

Hi guys! I got this fella a month or so ago, and being new to succulents and plants in general, believed that what it was labeled was correct. That is, until today. It was labeled as Crassula Rupestris variety, although I was browsing various plant sites and stumbled upon Crassula Brevifolia, which seems to be what this guy is. What do you think? Is it Crassula Brevifolia? Or am I mistaken, and the label is correct?

• 8 years ago

Rupestris

• 8 years ago

I would say brevifolia looks right...

• 8 years ago

I agree with Breton and disagree with myself.

• 3 years ago

It’s likely your “little jewel” is a Pachyveria Gluaca. It’s a hybrid of e true little jewel “pachyphytum compactum” but bred with an echeveria to make it a bit more sturdy.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County