SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

Contract with Amish builders?

weedyacres
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

At long last, we've got agreeable fixed pricing for a 12x16 room addition to our house (shell only). It's an Amish guy whose formal quote was handwritten on a half sheet of paper and snail mailed. On the phone I asked him about signing a contract and he said "if you want" but I'm not clear on whether he had one or if he was willing to sign something that I produced. I'm thinking the latter, given the style of his formal quote. :-)

So....I would like a contract to ensure that we have no misunderstandings. My typical M.O on contracts is to keep them simple, not legalistic. I provided drawings, some written bullet points, and walked him through the details. So that paperwork could be referenced. But there are things like a 3-block high crawl space, specifying the shingle brand/color, 2x6 walls (learned of requirement when I pulled the permit), etc. that we discussed verbally and I want to make sure we've got clarity and agreement.

Any suggestions for the best way to approach a contract for this? Advice on how to handle the legal stuff with Amish, or general work relationship/communication would be appreciated as well. I'm meeting him at the house tonight to give him a 30% deposit for materials, and work will probably start in a couple weeks.

Comments (23)