SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sirspe

Shrub Selection for front steps - Semi Dwarf Maple or Something else?

sirspe
8 years ago

Our plan for our revamped front-of-the-house is nearly complete -- oakleaf hydrangea, knockout roses, rhododendron, etc. But my DW added 1 more request to the selection next to front entry steps (on both sides): Don't attract bees all summer. We don't have bee allergies, but we don't want bees hanging around near our front door. I know our other shrubs will attract some bees -- and that's fine.

I want year round interest (in Zone 6). The desired height is a about 7-8 feet, but we have some wiggle room. We want something that's more upright than wide. The entry faces northeast and gets pretty good sun. Easy care is a big plus.

I assume, for the most part, if it flowers then it will attract bees. So I don't want anything that blooms for too short a time (or too early or late for bees), UNLESS it still looks great for the rest of the year.

The no-bee request has led me to consider matching Japanese Maples. I'm a little hesitant to plant trees (rather than shrubs) next to our foundation for fear of root damage. But the front steps aren't actually over our actual foundation. The house is more like 6-7 feet from the plant. I suppose a planting container is an option, too.

I've seen some articles touting ornamental grass as a non-flowering option, but I haven't seen anything that would actually look good (that grows in zone 6).

I'd love to hear any suggestions -- Japanese Maples, Chinese Maples, Korean Maples... Dogwood Shrubs (yes, I know -- those will attract bees), Conifers, etc.

Since this is the front of the house, I definitely want to do this right!

Thanks!

This is how the house is -- not how it will be. Shrubs will be planted on right side to compliment shrubs on the right. The boxwoods on the left will be replaced. The large shrub next to the steps is currently 8 feet and will be replaced with one of your suggestions!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz