SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

I.D.ing a mockingbird

catherinet
8 years ago

Boy, this has been a challenge, but I'm pretty sure it's a mockingbird. It sings and sings and sings somewhere in the tops of the black locust trees, in all their blossoms. It's like it's invisible. I just can't find it! And it seems to throw it's voice, so I'm never quite sure exactly where it is. It's not a brown thrasher........they are dark and big and easy to see and don't stay so still in one place. And It's not a catbird, since they move around more too and have that "meow" in their repertoire. I don't think there are any more "repeaters" (other than a chat, which I also have here), so can I probably be pretty sure it's a mockingbird? I got an audio of it's song, but don't know how to post it.

Are there any other cues that might help me know for sure that it's a mocker without actually seeing it?

Haven't had one here for a long time. I can remember back around 1983 when I would get home from work around 1a.m. and it would be singing it's heart out in the hickory tree. It was eerie.........but cool at the same time!

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• surya55_gw
    8 years ago

For me, the easiest way would be to listen to "all the other birds' songs" in its repertoire since the mocker's song is a series of other's songs and odd noises like gates squeaking,etc. It's unmistakable. They do sing all night during nesting season; especially if there's a full moon out.

• catherinet
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks surya55,
    Do mocker's repeat each sound a certain number of times, as opposed to the other mimics?
    The chats we have around here are interesting. I don't think I'm confusing them with mockers. The thing that I really hear the chat doing is a quacking sound....like a duck. I don't hear that sound with this other bird that I'm thinking is a mocker. I just can't believe how hard it is to see certain birds, even though their voices are so loud. It's sort of driving me crazy........not being able to see it. haha
    Thanks again.

• tmff
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have never known Northern Mockingbirds to stay hidden. They are boisterous buggers and perch in prominent spots, often repeatedly flying up and back down onto their perch while flapping their wings and displaying their conspicuous white patches. Gray Catbirds, on the other hand, can sing repeating phrases of strange whistles and squeaks (and not giving the typical "meow" call) and can be really hard to find as they stay lower in the brushy growth. Sometimes they are singing from the back of the brushy growth and hidden from view. If you are sure it's not a Yellow-breasted Chat (who stay well-hidden), I'd wager Gray Catbird (unless proven otherwise).

http://www.xeno-canto.org/species/Dumetella-carolinensis

• catherinet
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks tmff...........I think you're probably right about it being a catbird and not a mocker. It wasn't ever saying the traditional meow thing, so I was ruling out the catbird. I'll continue to try to just get a glimpse of whatever it is. I definitely know the Chats now......they sing almost constantly, and I've been able to get a few good glimpses of them
    Thanks for your help.

• dees_1
    8 years ago

Northern Mockingbirds will repeat a song in increments of three. Catbirds repeat songs in increments of two. Both are wonderful "repeaters" but it's the number of times they "repeat" that will let you tell the difference by sound.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21