SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
piersonse

Possible herbicide exposure?

piersonse
8 years ago

Hi all,

I've been trying to diagnose an issue with my tomatoes, eggplants, and beans. I assumed they were having their own individual problems, but after researching online I wonder if they may be suffering from herbicide exposure. My research indicates that manure may harbor herbicide if the animal eats something treated with it. My beds were filled this year with a mix of topsoil and pretty well composted manure - It had a slight smell, but for the most part smelled like dirt. Soil is reasonably moist at 2-3 inches and plants get 8-9 hours sun per day. Eggplant and tomatoes have been out for about 3 weeks.

I have attached some pictures of the 1) beans, 2) tomatoes, and 3) eggplant.

1) The bush beans grew two leaves and stopped growing (this happened to every single one of them). Initially I thought an animal was taking the new growth after first leaves and it killed the plant.

2) The tomatoes have small cupped leaves on all new growth. Some of the plants look better than others, but it is evident on all tomato plants. Early growth seemed bushy and stems were thick, which I thought may be due to high nitrogen content in the possibly not-composted manure. This still may be the case.

3) The eggplant has severely cupped leaves on all new growth. Old growth seems fine. Interestingly I noticed some cupping on the second set of leaves when they were seedlings still indoors. However this cupping is extreme and the leaves are very stiff/coarse.

Peppers, brassicas, root vegetables, greens are thus far not affected (peppers have not been out that long)

I'd love to hear what you all think may be affecting these plants. I realize there are an endless number of possible inflictions, but am curious to know if anyone believes it might be herbicide exposure.

Thanks a lot! Sorry the pics are sideways.

Beans

Tomatoes

Eggplant

Thanks a lot!

Comments (44)