SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bpbenda

Advice on Cold-Snapped Crape Myrtle

Brian Benda
8 years ago

This crape myrtle was planted three years ago, and has done well until recently. We had an unseasonable bad winter here in Nashville, with above average amounts of snow/ice and some of the coldest temps in many years. I noticed this Spring that many crape myrtles were late-blooming or not blooming at all. Ours, unfortunately, hasn't come out at all. There is, however, a bunch of healthy growth coming from the base of the tree. In years past, I would always cut these off to keep the trunks clean. The crape myrtle was cut back recently, well after all the cold weather was gone. We did it more for aesthetic reasons than anything, since it wasn't coming out. I am willing to wait it out if the base growth is an indication that it has a chance to survive (also because replacing the tree will mess a bunch of my other landscaping up and may pose some irrigation issues). Based on the photo, what advice can you provide? Should I hack down the dead wood to the ground and let the base shoots come out? Will they eventually turn into trunks? And, if so, what sort of time frame am I looking at here before it looks like a tree again? Thanks in advance!

Comments (9)