SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasoncarter

My Succulent Collection Needs Expert Advice

J Carter Gainesville, FL 9A
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hello Growers,

I've been growing succulents for several years in Gainesville, FL. I have Jades, Echeverias, Aloe varieties, Fred Ives Graptoverias, Haworthias, Plumerias, and a few others. My success has been inconsistent even though I've tried many mixes, pot sizes, and propagation techniques.

Early on, I identified the problem with "cactus mix" and/or sand. I discovered the Gritty Mix and subbed "Soil Perfector" for Turface and used pink bark fines with dust removed. I couldn't find granite so I used pea gravel. All substrates were rinsed thoroughly. Since I don't have a compost supply, I probably tossed in some Pro Mix my wife had. One year I potted three Fred Ives in pure Pro Mix and they looked spectacular until the mealies found them. I have other Freds growing out of a small cardboard box and an empty clay pot. These are just shameful neglects after cutting.

Mealies and rot are seemingly my biggest threats. I've lost a lot of plants starting about this time of year when the summer rains hit. By August, my collection starts looking really depressing. I have some well documented seasons in my photo collection if anyone's wants to gander.

There have been times when everything looks great. Usually, around the cooler months the plants seem to thrive. I researched dormancies and determined that many of my plants are summer dormant, so that gives me some hope. I live in Florida which is not ideal for succulents due to our hot and humid summers, but I'm hoping to find a solution to keep them going until the fall.

So I'm reaching out for all advice, but I'm starting with timing and mixes. Any Florida (or semi tropical climate) growers who feel confident in their understanding of growing seasons, please chime in. I'd like to know when you repot, prune, feed, etc. Regarding mixes: I have leftover Soil Perfector/pea gravel I can sterilize (inviting any advice here as well) to create a Gritty Mix. I have some sifted pine bark as well. I've recently experimented with coco chunks (probably for orchid use), hydrocorn, coco coir, and Fafards 3B. All with various mixtures. I'm happy to get in to those details if needed. I've considered the hyro media because of drainage possibilities in our rain soaked summers. If the coco is a ridiculous idea I'll just use it for herbs and other experiments.

I'm happy to start a separate thread for each plant for specific advice.

Many Thanks,

Carter

Comments (15)

• Ben was 10a/26, now 7a/34
    8 years ago

Hey Carter! I'm currently living in Gainesville, FL as well and will be here until the end of May/first week of June. I mainly grow Dorstenias, Euphorbias, Pseudolithos, Stapeliads, and SA bulbs, so I use both organic and non-organic soils in the same climate as you!! :-) for organic soils, I use a mix I borrowed from Mike and Maureen Massara,who run Out of Africa in Naples: 40-60% coco coir that I got at the local hydroponics store, 20-30% perlite, 10-20% vermiculite, 10-20% washed and rinsed grit (akasha rough sand from the Archer Lowes), and at least 10% horticultural grade diatomaceous earth, up to 20% on very pest-prone plants. DE is a natural wide-spectrum insecticide that will take care of your mealies in the soil. If you see mealies above the soil still, mist your plants with a dilute H2O2 solution, wait 1-2 minutes, mist with RO H2O, and pat dry with paper towels or q-tips. If you pot with this mix in terra cotta pots that have been thoroughly soaked in filtered H2O, plants should be very hard to kill from rot. All my plants in this mix or a variation thereof seem to dry out within 3-5 days, but the soil is never water-logged.

For inorganic, I use a mixture of Turface, scoria, perlite, DE, vermiculite, and grit. It's about 30% turface, 30% scoria, 20% perlite, 10% grit, 5% DE, and 5% vermiculite. Besides a single piece of a P. Cubiformis (which got muddy sprinkler water on it, so it wasn't the result of the mix!!!), I haven't had a problem with this mix yet, but all the species I have in this mix are slow growers, so time will tell!!

With both mixes, I bottom water and fertilize with watering, no fertilizer in the soil at all. Make sure to fertilize with trace minerals as well!! Hope this helps some :-)

• J Carter Gainesville, FL 9A
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Ben! Thanks for responding. I know Archer Lowes well but have only found play sand outside and masonry sand on the Contractors side. Where's akasha rough? That'll be awesome to know they had something useful for my difficult plant collection. I know DE but completely forgot about the potential of mixing it WITH the mix. I assume you had to order the Turface. If you bought that locally, I'd sure like to know where.

A couple of quick questions:

How do you filter the water and why?

What's RO H2O?

How do you bottom water?

What are you feeding them?

I'm delighted to know you live in town, but a little disappointed you're leaving so soon. On the flip side it's good to know you're only a click away. See you around the site and good luck at your new location.

• Related Discussions

Please help me ID some succulents in my collection? Thanks!

Q

Comments (7)
    Yes, Welcome to the forum. Those are quite a few to go through for ID. Just have a few minutes jumping in & out of the forum, so quick thoughts on some. 2. Does look like Haworthia cuspidata. 4. A. Is Aloe variegata on the right track with Haworthia pumila for 5. A & B. C. has been see listed by a couple of cultivar names, one being H. attenuata 'Wide Band' or 'Wide Zebra'. Nice Gloxinia! Just so you know, when writing plant names, single quotes are used on cultivar names. Species names are not capitalized. Common names or nicknames can use double quotes (but are not necessary). I believe all Bryophyllum have been moved back into Kalanchoe now. Cute pups, all! The Gasteria & Sans would require lengthy research. Sorry, I've no time for that now. Maybe I'll get back.
    ...See More

Need advice for my succulents.

Q

Comments (10)
    Fannv -- Welcome to the world of Cacti and Succulent growing.. There is alot to read here and in the beginning, information might be overwhelming. Take some time to answer some questions, and read through these links that might help you to your quest. 1) What is your region/zone? 2) Does your pots have holes? 3) Do you grow them indoors? Windows? Which direction the window is facing? http://saveyoursucculents.tumblr.com/post/109107889346/id-intended-to-put-a-bit-more-polish-on-this-but http://saveyoursucculents.tumblr.com/tagged/beginner I've recently also written on another newbie's post on the soil to use. You can read more here... http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/3532899/two-ids?n=72 Off the bat, regular garden soil are not fine in the long run, and until you can amend and change the mix, it's best you not water them and make sure the soil is completely dry before you add any more moisture. The first 2 plants looks like a Sedum or Sedeveria of some sort.. The last plant I think is a gasteraloe.. All of them need very well draining soil..
    ...See More

BLANK Canvas need expert advice before my company arrives ;)

Q

Comments (7)
    it is very hard without better measurements. I would have the couch face the window and then have the 2 chairs either face each or other or be on one side or the other. Remember there does not need to be a lot of space between couch and chairs or table. the desk is up to you my first thought was to place on the wall? small rugs perhaps?
    ...See More

Check out my channel about my succulent collection and vlog

Q

Comments (0)
    I am here to help if anyone needs it or if you'd like to share ideas that would also be great for all of us! thank you and I hope you visit my channel. Check out my channel about my succulent collection and vlog. https://www.youtube.com/user/asulikeit22
    ...See More
  • penfold2
    8 years ago

"DE is a natural wide-spectrum insecticide that will take care of your mealies in the soil."

DE works as an insecticide by absorbing the oils that protect insects from desiccation. In order to be useful as an insecticide, DE should be dry, uncalcined, and have a particle size measured in microns (i.e. powder). The calcined DE we use as a soil ingredient lacks these properties. Also, the moisture present in the soil would protect insects from desiccation. Calcined DE still makes a good soil ingredient, but don't count on it to stop insects.

Carter, I live on the opposite side of the country, but gritty mix should not have any compost, potting soil, or other fine material added to it. These fine particles simply fill in the pore spaces created by the larger particles, and increase the likelihood of root death and rot. Also, you can adjust the water retention by varying the proportion of Turface/Soil Perfector and gravel if you find that it's staying wet too long.

And you can check the Turface website for distributors. That's how I found mine. Just make sure you get Turface MVP and not one of the products with a smaller particle size.

http://www.turface.com/distributors

-Chris

8 years ago

penfold2, the DE I refer to is the powdery stuff used as pesticides; we have it available locally. I have added it to all my soils and all plants have done remarkably well, both in gritty and nongritty mixes. Additionally, many rarer Asclepiads species appreciate a sizable amount of finer sized particulate material in their soil (I have a P. cubiformis thriving in inorganic soil with a large fine component), especially those that develop finer root systems. Many succulent species that appreciate drying out between waterings do benefit from the DE, as when it dries out it dessicates any insect life in the soil.

Unfortunately I don't get my Turface locally; there's no suppliers in the Gainesville area. My parents live in Lakeland so I get mine from Harrell's Nursery when I go to see them. Penfold2 posted the link I was going to put haha.

the akasha rough sand is out by the orchid potting mix stuff in the garden section, on the wall of the building to the left of the garden section entrance. I rinse it to get rid of any unnecessary salts.

I filter water to simulate rainwater, which is filtered via evaporation and much purer than Florida tapwater. Additionally, FL tap water has relatively high concentrations of Fluoride, Chloride, and iron, as well as other metal acids as a result of a high water table and limestone aquifer. Sensitive plants can die from toxicity or get stunted growth I suppose. I just do it to be on the safe side.

When treating plants/doing surgery, always use pure or sterilized things. Reverse osmosis water (RO H2O) or deionized water are two types of highly pure water that I use after hydrogen peroxide to prevent any H2O2-related damage. Because it's highly pure there should be less chance of infection, and since there's fewer heavy metals or acids, less possibility for chemical damage as well.

Bottom watering with fertilizer involves diluting standard cactus fertilizer in a larger tupperware with water and submerging pots to ~75-80% the height of the soil. The soil will soak up water via capillary motion. Once the soil is soaked, put the pot back where it normally goes to get sun and drip dry. I give mine regular miracle grow cactus fertilizer and superthrive. Superthrive is a special treat, once at flowering onset and once at growth onset. U can get it at lowes too.

And same here!!! I don't know anyone else here who grows cacti and succulents. But I will still be on the web, here!! And thanks!! :-)

• penfold2
    8 years ago

Oops, I assumed you were talking about the white chunks of diatomite I've found in OOA's mix. I still have a hard time believing that you could maintain enough dry DE powder in the soil to combat insects without negatively affecting root growth. I use Imidacloprid to handle insects, but I understand that some people are opposed to that.

As for fine material in soils, I know there are plenty of people who believe that fine rooted plants require fine soil, but I've never found a plant that didn't take to a gritty mix. My old Pseudolithos cubiformis grew for several years with no fine material until it rotted one winter.

I'm currently growing several more from seed with no fine material. Admittedly, there are plenty of genera that I have not grown, but I have to wonder whether any species truly benefit from fine soil, or if this is just a long-standing myth.

-Chris

8 years ago

I can totally understand the confusion!! I actually started out looking for that form of DE, but could only find the powder format first. Most of my plants seem to retain the DE rather well. I have a few older cacti where I have added more to the soil (below a top layer of scoria) when I water, and because of the small size it sinks into the soil with successive waterings. In my organic mixes, the powdered DE stays much easier, and acts as a soil dryness indicator for me as well. I've always been afraid of handling pesticides, especially around rarer species.

Stapeliads that maintain a "jumping stem" growth form in culture need finer soils a lot of the time. For instance, I recently purchased a Stapelianthus madagascariensis that needs fine soil around the fine, small roots it grows at its various rooting points. Typical large particle gritty soils will dry out its roots and kill it. In my opinion, the trick to having a good finer gritty mix is maintaining a diverse particle size range. For instance, the finer mix version I use still has 60-80 percent larger particle sizes that are traditionally found in gritty mixes.

The fatter Pseudolithos species arent that picky about growing media in my experience. As long as 70-80% of the media is porous lava material of some kind, the rest can be almost anything that isn't too rich or wet. I have used finer inorganics, DE, coir, and even mechanically minced/small particle sphagnum peat moss, and the only rot I have encountered so far has been from errant sprinkler water kicking normal topsoil mud onto a part of one of my cubiformis plants, but that was it. And the main body of that plant was unharmed and continues to thrive in ~40% fine, gritty soil. However, I do live in Florida, which has the highest average UV index in the US as well intense heat and humidity for 6 or 8 months out of the year, compared to most other US states. For instance, it consistently hits 90 to 100 here with 100% humidity from May to September. The more south you go in FL, the larger this range gets. In my hometown 150 miles further south, it's very hot and humid from about March to the end of September. I also live in an area with great wind exposure and by a lake, so I have a constant humid breeze. As such, I haven't had a problem with drying out due to clogged soil pores or lower levels of absorbent material, but rotting due to standing water in fine mix has been a concern of mine. However, maintaining a diverse particle size range helps alleviate this problem by maintaining excellent drainage.

8 years ago

And I take that back about there being no Turface distributor in Gainesville. There's a John Deer Landscape in North Gainesville that I'm going to tomorrow. I will check it out and report back to you :-)

8 years ago

The Gainesville John Deere Landscapers store sells Turface All Sport, 50 lbs for 22$. They're located at 2320 NW 71st Pl, Gainesville, FL 32653. I was just there and bought some Turface. They have a LOT so don't worry about rushing over there :-) it's really far out though, like past the airport. So get ready for a drive, hahaha :-P

• J Carter Gainesville, FL 9A
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you both for all the information. I'll probably head out there next week or so. I'll continue to experiment and document my results. Thanks again.

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    8 years ago

Chris - thank you for posting that link! I have been play $10 for 2 quarts of turface from Amazon. I just couldnt find it in my area. I followed that link you posted and there is a John Deere location about 20minutes from me!!! Wooo Hoooo!!!

Regarding y'alls conversation about DE. I was thinking about geting that and mixing a little in with my gritty mix. But from what you are saying it is better to use a imidacloprid? And for that you just get a general insecticide with it in it, right?

ps. nice thread! I've learned quite a bit from it!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    8 years ago

deva
    Do you have some infestation that you need to use imidacloprid? I never used it, so I wonder what you want to use it for (as per your post above: "Regarding y'alls conversation about DE. I was thinking about geting
    that and mixing a little in with my gritty mix. But from what you are
    saying it is better to use a imidacloprid? And for that you just get a
    general insecticide with it in it, right?)

Are you suggesting to mix it with the soil?

Rina

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    8 years ago

no. I have one on my campus that is struggling with a brown scale infestation. I used imidaclorprid on it before and thought it was done but some survived. I was badly infested. So, I was debating on which one to use.

I dont have any issues with my personal plants. I am on a 3rd floow balcony so I assume that is helpful to prevent infestations. Just a guess since I have never had any issues

• breathnez
    8 years ago

Excuse me if I am off the mark Carter, but it is the question I would ask myself if I had been doing what you have. The insect issue aside, could you be spending a lot of experimentation finding the soil mix that agrees with your watering practices rather than adjusting your watering to the soil? I ask, b/c most succulents aren't super picky about the soil, just picky about how wet the roots are. People are successful using regular potting soil- they just wait a long time between watering. I switched to a #2 chicken grit (1/4" granite) and pine bark fines in equal measure, and had a lot of leaf dessication until I figured out I needed to water more often. I would pick a mix that experienced folks say works(and of course fits budget/availability), then monitor the watering and see how less watering overall goes.

• penfold2
    8 years ago

The effectiveness of powdered DE as an insecticide when mixed in soil is unknown. Personally, I have a hard time believing it does any significant good when used this way, but some people believe it does. I doubt it would do any good in combating an existing scale problem, since the scale most likely feeds and reproduces right on the plant, never touching the soil. Imidacloprid is a systemic insecticide that works very well on scale IME. Many people use Bayer products with 1.47% Imidacloprid (read the fine print on the label) at 2 Tbs per gallon of water thoroughly watered into the soil. I used that very successfully in the past, but recently switched to a much more concentrated, powdered product (Adonis 75 WSP). It goes a lot further, but needs to be measured with a gram scale.

-Chris