SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tabbyjane

fungus gnats!

Tabatha Thompson
8 years ago

So, I have learned my lesson with Miracle Gro potting mix. My containers are full of fungus gnats! I know over watering is usually the culprit, but I have taken care not to do so. I can't help the rain, though :/

I noticed a few of them immediately after planting with MG. That tells me the bags were already infested before I even opened them. I cannot replace my mix this year. My husband already thinks spending $10 per bag, a total of $80, was insane. I thought having my plants in direct sunlight for about 8 hours a day, along with letting the mix dry out a bit would keep them under control. Yeah right! These little devils are strong. None of my plants seem to be bothered by them except for my Basil (still pretty small), I think their little roots are being devoured. So, last night I decided to order some mosquito granules, like the dunks but in pellet form. Until my order comes in I'd like to try something else. I've read that orange oil can kill them. Has anyone tried this? Could it hurt my plants? I have a bottle of Garden Safe Fungicide3, but I had an anaphylactic reaction to it and ended up in the hospital a few days ago. So neem oil is 100% out of the question.

Ugh. Miracle Gro.

Comments (7)