SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karenpapais

Are my peas a lost cause? Fungus gnats!

karenpapais
3 years ago

My preschool daughter and I successfully grew several pea plants from seed in a pot on our balcony and they were doing great but now that they’re 4 feet tall I think they are about to die. Is it too late? See photos. We started getting horrible fungus gnats a few weeks ago and in frustration I switched to bottom watering for a week (letting the top soil surface dry out), putting yellow sticky tape and vinegar bowls around, and sprinkled diatomaceous earth all over the surface. Even withholding water for a while at the soil’s surface, I thought they were doing pretty well anyway. But now all the plants look dead at the bottom, though still alive at the top. I’m guessing there’s no way to save them but are there any ideas? I’m also trying to understand what killed them: the fungus gnats? Not getting enough water? Diatomaceous earth? Why are they all yellow and dry near the soil but their tips (and the majority of the plants) still look green and alive? So confused. (There are also a couple nasturtium and poppy seeds in the same pot but I can’t imagine that matters). Thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting