Germinating Hoary Puccoon seeds

Rollie Peschon

I encountered this little plant on a trip to Pocahontas county Iowa last week. (I live in Dickinson county iowa). I acquired some seed packets from the Ion Exchange in Harpers Ferry Iowa today. In researching germination codes, it appears this beautiful flower is quote hard to get going, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this forb.

I have a plant nursery that has 900 seedlings going in Ray Leach conetainers right now, and have room for more. Just wondering how I should proceed? Maybe a little soil from the raodside where they grwo, would help? They prefer sandy soils is what Im reading.

SaveComment7Like
Comments (7)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Rollie Peschon

Seedlings started in nursery:

Prairie Garlic, Butterfly Milkweed, Joe Pye, Round Headed Bush clover, Grey headed coneflower, Prairie Dock, Purple Prairie clover, Prairie Dropseed

Save    
WoodsTea 6a MO(6a)

I love that one too. I saw it blooming in a recently burned area of the Hi Lonesome Prairie in Missouri last year in late April, along with Nothoscordum bivalve, Castilleja coccinea and Viola pedata. This winter I tried frost-seeding the other three in my yard, but hadn't found a source for the hoary puccoon. No sign of any of them as far as I can tell. :(

Save    
dandy_line (Z3b N Cent Mn)

Maybe put into a winter seed bed. I built a small 4x8 container two years ago and am haing good success with the really stubborn ones.

I have managed to 'free' some plants from roadside ditches but it is only 50/50 they will survive.

Save    
Karma Grotelueschen

Why is stealing from roadsides ever acceptable?

Save    
lisanti07028(z6NJ)

When the ditch is the precursor of road work that will eliminate native plants. Did you really join Houzz just to post that?

3 Likes Save    
Jay 6a n.c. IL.

WoodsTea,Prairie Moon Nursery has seeds for Hoary Pucoon.The strange thing is they usually have precise info on germination,but for this plant they only have a question mark next to germ. code, and a statement that it is very difficult to start from seed, and could take very long to germinate.Rollie, getting a little dirt from where they grow sounds like a great idea, because who knows whether this plant has some kind of fungus or bacteria that aids in it's growth and germination.Good luck all.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Rollie Peschon
WoodsTea 6a MO(6a)

One thing I noticed about the hoary puccoon in my photo above was that it was growing in a recently burned area. I can't replicate that in my front yard (unfortunately ;-).

By this spring (the second since sowing) I had forgotten that I had sown those seeds. It's possible that some have germinated and that I've either weeded them or just kept mowing them down. I did find a couple of Sisyrinchium campestre plants in flower this year that I had sown around the same time in a nearby area.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Verbena Stricta Tolerates Tough Spots
With its subtle beauty and long-lasting flowers, this pollinator pleaser is a boon to wilder areas
Full Story
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Chamaecrista Fasciculata Brightens City Boulevards
Plant partridge pea in eastern U.S. gardens for its bright yellow flowers, lacy foliage and drought tolerance
Full Story
Gardening Guides 15 Native Flowers That Feed Native Bees
These perennials offer superfood to hundreds of bees and are gorgeous in their own right
Full Story