SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
driftwoodandmarble

Decision made to build. Hire the Architect first or buy the land

This question may seem to have a logical answer- how can you design a home without having the land first, right?

I have had the style of my dream house in my head, hand drawn and filed away for many years now taking it out every once in a while to tweak slightly as our family has grown. We have just decided it is the right time to begin the whole process. We are not in any huge rush, but plan to be done within 3 years. The area we are looking for land has flat wooded lots which fit our floorpan. We have researched and decided on a full service architectural firm that we plan to hire for the whole process from conception to taking the final walk through with us. Has anyone began "phase 1" of the design process while still searching for that perfect piece of property?

The reason I think that hiring the architect and beginning the planning process before having the land might work in my situation, is that the architect can advise me on the land and if it will work with my very specific design needs and layout. We may have large flat wooded lots here, but many come with strict conservation restrictions and we would need some guidance to help us choose based on these restrictions and how we can layout the plan. Does this make sense? My DH seems to think it is not done in this order. Has anyone planned the preliminary home design with their architect before having bought the land?

Pros and non-pros, please feel free to chime in. This is my first home build from ground up and will take any advice or ideas! Have done plenty of renovations and redecorating and I am obsessed with kitchen design/planning, home decorating, and remodeling so I know I am going to love this process! Its been our dream for many years and I can not wait to begin.

Comments (6)